New six cylinder engines have no dipstick

Page 2 of 3
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Absolutely true.
Matt O.
they dont get replaced. not the same as engine oil. duhhh
London SW

news wrote: <top posting corrected>

Uh, yes they do. Every Inspection 2. Duh.
-Fred W
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

My current daily driver car still has a dipstick in its manual transaxel. But manual transmitions and differentials don't need dipsticks because they will not use up (burn) oil without a visible sign of a leak unlike an engine is capible of doing, but it still isn't hard to check to see if they are full.
On Mon, 23 May 2005 19:35:00 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

Cute but lame.
So, does this device show the inevitable post-service over-filled condition?
No?

A main dealer puts a measured amount of oil in from his bulk supply. If you're changing the oil yourself, you too should do just this.
Of course if you rely on an instant service place then that's up to you.
But tell me, how do you rectify this 'inevitable post-service overfill'?
--
*When cheese gets its picture taken, what does it say? *

On Tue, 24 May 2005 20:17:12 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

First, you check the dipstick when you get the car back - from Audi main line service...
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Well, yes and no.
Yes, this is what they do. That's how you get an over-fill condition. Overfills are not a good thing as it can cause excessive crankcase pressure and blow out seals.
No, this is not what you should do. You should fill it up to the pre-measured amount minus a pint or so. Then, start and stop the engine and check the level (after appropriate settling time of course). Finally adjust the level on the dipstick by topping it up.

Ummm... just a guess, but I would drain some off?
-Fred W

On every car I've ever owned, if it says, say, 5 litres for a change including filter, after draining the old oil and changing the filter if you add 5 litres it will read full on the dipstick after it's been run to fill the filter.

You get the oil changed by someone then go to all the bother of draining some off yourself? Is this some form of US ritual? I either change the oil myself or get it done properly. ;-)

--
*Bills travel through the mail at twice the speed of cheques *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Damn. You caught me again, Dave. You know I just do it myself. I was speculating on the part of the OP. ;-)
-Fred W

Fair enough. I've not seen an E90. So does it have an oil level indicator telling the driver how much oil is in the engine, similar to the fuel gauge? Does it have a system to prevent overfilling the engine? If the answer is no to either question, your analogy is very flawed. Would like a car without a fuel gauge and instead only an indicator that warns the driver when fuel is low?

Foo. Now you actually have to jack up the car to change the oil. ;-(
--
Darryl Okahata
snipped-for-privacy@soco.agilent.com

I *would* dip my fuel tank before a 200 mile journey if the only indicator on board was a low fuel level warning light. It helps to know how much fuel I have left, as opposed to only knowing if I've almost run out of it. But maybe that's just me.
As it happens, the fuel gauge (if it works properly) provides just a tad more info than a "low level warning". In that vein, an oil *gauge* would be a fair replacement for the dipstick.
Why don't people find out what the actual situation is before complaining about it.
The E90 displays on the on-board computer what the current oil level is. it shows in 1/4 litre intervals and when to add a full litre. This is more acurate than the dipstick ( engine hot or cold ) can be checked at any time from the comfort of the drivers seat, you don't have to be concerned if the oil has settled for a proper reading or putting in too much.
The opening for the dipstick is a major opening for possible environmental concerns and has been eliminated to meet the future engine pollution requirements.
snipped-for-privacy@canada.com

330xi states:
<The opening for the dipstick is a major opening for possible environmental concerns and has been eliminated to meet the future engine pollution requirements. >
Really? Can you explain exactly what is this "major opening for possible environmental concerns"? I'm a bit dense and have never had any problems, environmental or otherwise, with a dipstick. Of course, I suppose there can be a problem if you remove the dipstick and start driving around. But who does that?!

It was, indeed, baloney. More likely the dipstick was removed for engine compartment space considerations...

That's exactly what there is under the 'Check Control' settings on the new cars... an incremented oil gauge, not just a 'low oil' light.
well suppose that some one puts in to much oil - i have seen it many times when the idiot does not pay attention or know the spec of the car - does the sensor tell you that ? I would rather have the stick also

may go up, fuel efficiency will drop if the crankshaft is hitting the oil. This situation is certainly not as destructive as running out:
http://webpages.charter.net/dwarner2/NoOil.jpg
I wonder how they could do a warning light or level sensor, since the oil level always chages between running, not running, and perhaps with engine speed. I guess a level meter might work if the computer has a map of level vs RPM. Still, If there was no dipstick, then I'd want an unlimited warranty for engine replacement if oil actually ran out and the sensor failed to detect it.
BTW: is it possible that there really is a dipstick, but it's just hidden under the stupid plastic covers that seem to infest every engine bay these days? Whenever I lift the hood on a new car and see a big sheet of cheap planstic instead of an engine, I assume what's undereath is made by Briggs & Stratton, just like the plastic-covered lawn mowers in the local K-Mart.

Absolutely. At one time you'd expect a maker of fine engines to want to show them off at their best.
--
*Virtual reality is its own reward*