New six cylinder engines have no dipstick

Many of the 15 year old BMWs I've seen have nothing electrical still working, but at least the dipstick still does. Heck, you can drive most of them

*another* 200k in that condition, and then some.

Matt O.

Reply to
Matt O'Toole

Sure, if it's still working.

Matt O.

Reply to
Matt O'Toole

I'm old enough to remember when they leaked.

Matt O.

Reply to
Matt O'Toole

they dont get replaced. not the same as engine oil. duhhh

Reply to
news

Reply to
news

I *would* dip my fuel tank before a 200 mile journey if the only indicator on board was a low fuel level warning light. It helps to know how much fuel I have left, as opposed to only knowing if I've almost run out of it. But maybe that's just me.

As it happens, the fuel gauge (if it works properly) provides just a tad more info than a "low level warning". In that vein, an oil *gauge* would be a fair replacement for the dipstick.

Reply to
Peter Bozz

Well, yes and no.

Yes, this is what they do. That's how you get an over-fill condition. Overfills are not a good thing as it can cause excessive crankcase pressure and blow out seals.

No, this is not what you should do. You should fill it up to the pre-measured amount minus a pint or so. Then, start and stop the engine and check the level (after appropriate settling time of course). Finally adjust the level on the dipstick by topping it up.

Ummm... just a guess, but I would drain some off?

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Uh, yes they do. Every Inspection 2. Duh.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

And I'm old enough to remember when the majority of engines burnt oil at modest mileage and needed a re-bore perhaps twice before the body disintegrated. These days, most decent engines outlive the bodywork - or other things which send a car to the scrapyard.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On every car I've ever owned, if it says, say, 5 litres for a change including filter, after draining the old oil and changing the filter if you add 5 litres it will read full on the dipstick after it's been run to fill the filter.

You get the oil changed by someone then go to all the bother of draining some off yourself? Is this some form of US ritual? I either change the oil myself or get it done properly. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why don't people find out what the actual situation is before complaining about it.

The E90 displays on the on-board computer what the current oil level is. it shows in 1/4 litre intervals and when to add a full litre. This is more acurate than the dipstick ( engine hot or cold ) can be checked at any time from the comfort of the drivers seat, you don't have to be concerned if the oil has settled for a proper reading or putting in too much.

The opening for the dipstick is a major opening for possible environmental concerns and has been eliminated to meet the future engine pollution requirements.

snipped-for-privacy@canada.com

Reply to
330xi

That's exactly what there is under the 'Check Control' settings on the new cars... an incremented oil gauge, not just a 'low oil' light.

Reply to
Paul Martin

Damn. You caught me again, Dave. You know I just do it myself. I was speculating on the part of the OP. ;-)

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound
330xi states:

Really? Can you explain exactly what is this "major opening for possible environmental concerns"? I'm a bit dense and have never had any problems, environmental or otherwise, with a dipstick. Of course, I suppose there can be a problem if you remove the dipstick and start driving around. But who does that?!

Reply to
bfd

Absolutely true.

Matt O.

Reply to
Matt O'Toole

It was, indeed, baloney. More likely the dipstick was removed for engine compartment space considerations...

Reply to
daytripper

My current daily driver car still has a dipstick in its manual transaxel. But manual transmitions and differentials don't need dipsticks because they will not use up (burn) oil without a visible sign of a leak unlike an engine is capible of doing, but it still isn't hard to check to see if they are full.

Reply to
Todd Zuercher

well suppose that some one puts in to much oil - i have seen it many times when the idiot does not pay attention or know the spec of the car - does the sensor tell you that ? I would rather have the stick also

Reply to
zz

If the dealer puts too much oil in, nothing breaks. Oil consumption may go up, fuel efficiency will drop if the crankshaft is hitting the oil. This situation is certainly not as destructive as running out:

wonder how they could do a warning light or level sensor, since theoil level always chages between running, not running, and perhaps withengine speed. I guess a level meter might work if the computer has amap of level vs RPM. =20Still, If there was no dipstick, then I'd want an unlimited warrantyfor engine replacement if oil actually ran out and the sensor failedto detect it.

BTW: is it possible that there really is a dipstick, but it's just hidden under the stupid plastic covers that seem to infest every engine bay these days? Whenever I lift the hood on a new car and see a big sheet of cheap planstic instead of an engine, I assume what's undereath is made by Briggs & Stratton, just like the plastic-covered lawn mowers in the local K-Mart.

Doug Warner

Absolutely. At one time you'd expect a maker of fine engines to want to show them off at their best.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)