newbie questions

Hi all,
I just purchased a '91 318is today. This is my first BMW, and I'm wondering if any of you can recommend good places to get parts? I'm not
sure what all I will need just yet, but the thing that's bothering me the most is that the door lock doesn't work very well. I was looking for the whole handle assembly including the lock online, but couldn't find anything.
I'm sure I'll need more parts, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Great car, I have a '90 :-) Do a search for Brendan Purcell's 318iS site.

www.bavauto.com
not

Josh, You may just have a little corrosion on the lock release mechanism inside the door. I have had this problem and solved it by putting a little oil on the mechanism joints. Mine had gotten quite 'sticky' to the point I feared I would break the key off in the lock and it made a metallic scraping sound when the door handle was pulled. You will need to remove the door lining in order to do this. I first tried spraying some LPS-3 down through the lock button hole but it was not successful as I was just guessing as to the location of the offending joints.

Great! thanks so much for the info.
John: I found Brendan's site before I posted here, seems like a great resource. www.bavauto.com is exactly what I was looking for, thanks for the tip!
Jack: Your description sounds a lot like what I've got going on. I'm afraid of breaking my key at any moment. I'm going to take your advice and see if I can't fix it myself.
Seems like a nice group you guys have here. I look forward to spending some time here and learning from all of you.
Thanks again.