Noise at slow turns

1991 325 I convertible
At very slow turns my car make a noise I would describe as a rubbing sound. At first that's what I thought was happening but I couldn't
figure out what would be rubbing.
Then I remembered my 4 wheel drive pickup makes a terrible racket when I turn in 4 wheel at slow speeds because of the locked up differential. It tells you not to turn short right in the manual.
Does the BMW have some sort of possi traction rear end that would make that noise? Speed up slightly and there is no noise at all.
We spent 4 hrs out driving around yesterday with the top down. What a sunburn. :) I'll remember next time.
My first guess is that you are hearing a wheel bearing.

Ct Midnite wrote:

Most likely one of:
- tires near end of life - wheel bearing - differential problem
Don't discount the tires. My E36 was doing this recently...until I replaced the tires.
Can't remember when BMW stopped putting posi rears in the cars in favor of traction control, but I know the latter became standard on the E36 in 1998.
-Doug
-- -------------------- Doug Vetter, CFIMEIA snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com http://www.dvcfi.com --------------------