noisy on start up

Hi Just got a 318 2003 model and when i start from the cold the engine is noisy as if there is a high power fan running somewhere. What is it please as this noise stops after a couple of minutes. Is it normal and
if so should it be noisy or is there something wrong. Many thanks. Kevin
snipped-for-privacy@virgin.net wrote:

Kevin,
Check in the owners manual or at your dealership, but I'd bet this is an air pump used during the initial few minutes after a cold start to reduce emissions. I don't have such a late model-year BMW, but my 2003 has one (air pump) and it sounds just like what you are describing.
--
-Fred W

cheers thanks for that should the be pump noisy then as i can hear it in the car thanks kevin