Not imported from Germany?

I'm thinking of buying a 2001 E38. I'm located in the US. A couple I've seen have been imported from countries other than Germany (one from Italy,
one from Ecuador). This seems unusual to me, is it? Are there BMW manufacturing plants in Italy or Ecuador? Is it something to be wary of?
Thanks for any information, ScottR

I think they have a plant in Mexico - saves the trouble of trying to import the workers into friendly Arizona. I suppose they could get a few retired Stasi operatives to advise Arizona law enforcement on uniforms (black with skull and crossbones) and dialogue "Papers please" or "Papers, papers"...
Not funny. Your ref to SS uniforms is uncalled for.
DAS
To reply directly replace 'nospam' with 'schmetterling' --
[...]
I suppose they could get a few retired

Maybe they've been owned by US citizens working abroad and taken home with them. BMW certainly doesn't make cars in Italy! They have assembly setups in South Africa, China and Russia that I know of. But in 2001 I think only South Africa was operational (and has been since the 70s).