number on wheels

Hi all!
I was wondering what is the meaning of the number on my BMW original 16'' 1999 E39 wheels, on the outside, near the air inflation ... thing (sorry,
English is NOT my main language). I know it's not any size, the sizes are inside as well as the part number for the wheel.
Thanks!
Vasco
99 E39
"vricardo" wrote

Well, if you could tell us what is written there, it may be easier for us to take a guess as to what it means.
Pete
Thanks Pete, but it's just a number: my wheels are all 5, but I've seen some 4, 7 and some 10s. Can they be mixed?

Could be a casting number. Related to a batch of castings or a pattern number. Enables trackback if any faults develop. Mike.
Thanks Mike. And can they be mixed?

If it is a pattern or batch casting mark. Sure. Regardless of the batch number, all the wheels of a specific design and size would be the same. The batch number would only be used if a fault was later found on a wheel. They could then maybe recall or check all the wheels manufactured in the same production run, in case the fault affected the whole batch. Mike.
Thanks again Mike!
Maybe it is, as you say, just a batch number. But why on earth would BMW put a internal check code on the outside of the wheel if all the others (part number and size) are on the inside?