OBC Replacement on E39. Doesn't anyone here know anything about this?

I posted about replacing the screen on the OBC (2002 535iT, no Nav, DSC) and got no response. Since folks on this group seem to be eager to share information, I assume no one knows anything about it.
I've determined that I need to replace the OBC as a unit. No possible replacement of the screen alone. BMW wants something like $1200 for a new one. Found a used OBC for $350 (ouch, but the best I can do I think).
Has anyone here had any experience with replacing the OBC? Does it need to be programed in some way or is it just plug and go? I've gotten both answers.
If anyone has any experience at all with this part, I would sure appreciate hearing about it.
thanks

Suggest tou try the Yahoo group for E39s - very helpful bunch of enthusiasts.

jeremy

Look around on ebay, may have to be patient, but the last full function OBC I got was $40.
I had a problem with mine (E36 98 328i) it was a 12 button one. I pulled it out and used this web site. http://www.prodeng.com/bmw/obc.psp to fix the problem. It has very good pictures and details on how to take it a part and fix it.