odometer lights not working

My odometer doesn't light up, making it very hard to read. The K's actually do tick over - when light shines on the dash you can see it... and all the other lights in the dash work fine except for the odometer area.
I drive an E36, '96 318is M-Spec. I'm not sure if its electrical or something knocked out of place... is this a known issue..?

It is not a common issue that has been discussed here before.
It should operate like the radio, and that display is backlit ...
The instrument cluster is illuminated with small incandescent bulbs that occasionally burn out. They can be accessed for replacement from the backside of the cluster by removing the cardboard panel under the steering wheel. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model 73&mospidG481&btnrb_0208&hgb&fg

There is a little knurled wheel, usually near the headlight switch - try turning it.
Polite If all else fails read the instructions. Impolite RTFM
R. Mark Clayton wrote:

the only 2 small wheels are beneath the dash, neither have any function.

That's intriguing. Almost surreal.
It's like the big red button with the 'do not push this button' label that lights up a display that says 'do not push this button again' when you press it.
--
Dan.

gimp wrote:

Do you have the internal lights switched off? Maybe it was just coincidence, but I had mine switched off for a while and the odometer "decided" to not light up any more. I switched the internal lights back to normal (on when doors open) and the odometer backlight started working again (not immediately, but after a while - maybe a couple of days).
Andrew