oil service light

I just got a 85 325 e a little but ago and the inspection light was on but today it turned off and the oil service light came on. I checked my manual but it only tells how to install and take it out it doesnt
give me a reason why it turns on. i am running 10w-40 (its what the book recomended) and this oil doesnt have more then 300 miles on it. Any one have any idea ???
bobbob1015 wrote:

This is supposed to be based on time and engine load, but in an '85 the battery's in the cluster are likely shot and it's just being erratic. They are nicad batteries soldered to the rear of the cluster.
Oil level low ?
Nick
"nick smith" wrote:

checked it i think its the batterys thanks guys
JimV wrote:

on
checked
doesn't
the
it.
the
Where is this cluster? I have an 86 325 es and my oil light is always on I was going to change the sender.
The Service Interval and the Oil Service indicators come on as a result of a timer - for lack of a better term. When the service is performed, the timer is reset by the technician. If the timer is not reset, then the car won't know the service was done and the light will come on at its scheduled interval even if the service was recently done.

http://www.autoforumz.com/BMW-oil-service-light-ftopict118300.html
http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?pW4166