Oil Service Light Reset

I own a 2001 525i and I can't find the connector for reseting the oil light! The only connector I can find is the ODC connector located down on the dash by the brake and hood release inside the car. I do not know which pins to ground to reset for the oil light, if it can be done? Everybody says there is a round military connector under the hood near the fire wall but I can't find anything like. the only connector I can find is in side the car and it IS not round it is Square shaped with 16 pin connectors. Can anybody help me figure this out? The dealership refuses to help unless I pay them for their $169 oil change which I've already performed because their price was to high!

Robert King

Reply to
rlking

Here's an article describing the diagnostic connector for the 3 series. The connector on your car will look identical.

Jack

As a Honda owner (01 Prelude), I am curious as to what the dealer does for $169.00 that a Honda dealer does for around $25.00.

Reply to
tww

My BMW dealer charges about $80.00 for an oil/filter change which includes (IIRC) about 7 quarts of synthetic. An "Oil Service" includes a number of checks and costs as much as $200.00 total.

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

I've heard it called a "Lubrication Service", I managed to keep a straight face, and got my oil change elsewhere.. (As it is an older BMW)

Lordy

Reply to
Lordy

Haven't heard that term since chassis grease fittings were done away with back in the 1960's. Glad you could keep a straight face, as I'd probably have to ask what is being lubed besides my wallet!

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

My Honda dealer always throws in a 19 point check, brakes, suspension etc. with an oil change. Mobil I synthetic, which I use, runs around $5.00 per qt for a 5 qt capacity. The BMW sounds like the XKE I had in the mid 60s with a 10 qt change. Of course, probably more reliable. The point is that I was considering a 3 series BMW until an owner gave me the bad news about the very high cost of maintenance -- like $2000 for a brake job which is needed at around 20-30k along with $150.00 oil changes.

Reply to
tww

Hah. That's a good one. Did you ever ask what those 19 points were and what they actually did in this "inspection"?

Mobil 1 is about 4.50 retail by the quart. You can buy 5 quart containers at Walmart for $20 (I'll do the math for you - that's $$ a quart). Do you really thing the dealerships don't get a huge volume discount for buying in 55 gallon drum volume? I'll bet they pay less than $3 a quart.

No, most BMWs have ~8 quart sumps, not 10. Why? Take a wild guess... If you have more oil volume it will be able to disipate more heat (you do know that oil is the engine's primary oil coolant don't you?) withstand more wear and suspend more contaminants than the smaller volume.

That's complete and utter bullshit. I have never heard of a $2000 brake job on a BMW (or any other car for that matter). The pads cost the same as any car (anywhere from $35-85 per axle depending on brand) and even if you figure in the disks at roughly $80-100 per corner and throw in $150 per hour NY City labor rates it still doesn't add up to $2000.

But the most amusing (and perhaps telling) thing is that you apparently ended up with a Honda. Good luck with that automotive appliance, pal. I'm sure that it will supply many serviceable miles...

Reply to
Fred W

Yeah? Wanna see the receipt for the full monty brake job on my M5?

Hondas are fine cars. Much better than the equivalent GM and Ford garbage.

Reply to
Dean Dark

Did a four corner brake job for my 2002

325ci for about $300, BMW wanted between 900 and 1000. I just got a coupon from BMW for a $75 oil change. Joe
Reply to
Joe C

Did that include calipers? I can't beleive anyone would pay $2000 for pads and rotors.

perhaps. In fact the rest of my family is enamored of them. But they are no more exciting than a Ford Focus to me, and a lot less exciting than a Mustang or Corvette.

Reply to
Fred W

BMW eliminated the underhood connector on most models starting in 2000, and by 2001 it was history. ALL diagnostics is now done via the OBD-II connector inside the car.

Reset of the oil and service lights is done via the two buttons on the instrument cluster. I'd suggest Googling for the info.

No tool is needed, no wire to possibly burn up the wiring harness.. piece'a'cake.

Reply to
admin

Yes. I receive a detailed explanation of each item. I have checked them out and they actually do it.

Reply to
tww

Of course they do it. They want to sell you repairs. It's in their best interest to find problems.

Reply to
JimV

It was a bit more than *just* pads and rotors, but even just pads & rotors on any 5 is a minimum $500/axle at the BMW lodge.

My NSX wants to take issue with you over that statement.

Reply to
Dean Dark

Don't consider the Prelude an appliance. At 2900 lbs with a 200 hp 2.2 ltr VTEC it is a strong runner with first-rate brakes and great performance. It will give most 3 series a good run for the money. The new Civic SI I recently drove is similar in execution. As far as ending up with a Honda, it is telling. During the 60s I owned an 64 XKE, a Sunbeam Tiger (modified) that I autocrossed with great success while assigned duty in Japan, a couple of Corvettes (69 and 71), etc, etc. I became a real Honda fan when I moved from Norton and Triumph motorcycles to the early 4 cylinder 750s Honda imported to the US -- after I saw it at the Tokyo motor show in 68. BMWs -- tested a 2002 in 74 and did not like it. So, I thought I would look at it again. But, as appliance driver, I guess I don't deserve a BMW by your assessment.

tww

OK, I'll buy that. So the entire brake job would be $1000 if one were inclined to waste their money by bringing it to a BMW dealership for the job. That's half of $2000, right? How much is a brake job on a Honda at a Honda stealership? Oh... what's that? about $1000 you say?

Yes. Too bad they have not made one in quite some time...

Reply to
Fred W

Too bad that none of them actually handle worth a damn. If you can't tell the difference between a Honda and a BMW then you would be absolutely crazy to buy a BMW.

You deserve whatever you can best appreciate. Hondas are fine cars. Just not exciting to me and (my) life is too short for boring cars.

Reply to
Fred W

You are absolutely right. Convinced me I can't join your club. It's seems pretty exclusive.

Reply to
tww

Have it your way, I really don't have the energy to put a dog in this fight. Pay what you want to for the maintenance on *your* car.

Now you're on dodgy ground. I guess that even *old* NSX's are too expensive for you to buy and maintain properly, much less to have experienced and appreciated? Stroll on, sunshine.

Reply to
Dean Dark