Oil Service Light Reset

Page 1 of 2
I own a 2001 525i and I can't find the connector for reseting the oil light! The only connector I can find is the ODC connector located down on the dash by the brake and hood release inside the car. I do not know which
pins to ground to reset for the oil light, if it can be done? Everybody says there is a round military connector under the hood near the fire wall but I can't find anything like. the only connector I can find is in side the car and it IS not round it is Square shaped with 16 pin connectors. Can anybody help me figure this out? The dealership refuses to help unless I pay them for their $169 oil change which I've already performed because their price was to high!
Robert King
Here's an article describing the diagnostic connector for the 3 series. The connector on your car will look identical. http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/electrical/e36_reset_service_lights.html

$169.00 that a Honda dealer does for around $25.00.

My BMW dealer charges about $80.00 for an oil/filter change which includes (IIRC) about 7 quarts of synthetic. An "Oil Service" includes a number of checks and costs as much as $200.00 total.
Tom K.
On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 20:03:03 -0400, Tom K. wrote:

I've heard it called a "Lubrication Service", I managed to keep a straight face, and got my oil change elsewhere.. (As it is an older BMW)
Lordy

Haven't heard that term since chassis grease fittings were done away with back in the 1960's. Glad you could keep a straight face, as I'd probably have to ask what is being lubed besides my wallet!
Tom K.

My Honda dealer always throws in a 19 point check, brakes, suspension etc. with an oil change. Mobil I synthetic, which I use, runs around $5.00 per qt for a 5 qt capacity. The BMW sounds like the XKE I had in the mid 60s with a 10 qt change. Of course, probably more reliable. The point is that I was considering a 3 series BMW until an owner gave me the bad news about the very high cost of maintenance -- like $2000 for a brake job which is needed at around 20-30k along with $150.00 oil changes.

tww wrote:

Hah. That's a good one. Did you ever ask what those 19 points were and what they actually did in this "inspection"?

Mobil 1 is about 4.50 retail by the quart. You can buy 5 quart containers at Walmart for $20 (I'll do the math for you - that's $$ a quart). Do you really thing the dealerships don't get a huge volume discount for buying in 55 gallon drum volume? I'll bet they pay less than $3 a quart.

No, most BMWs have ~8 quart sumps, not 10. Why? Take a wild guess... If you have more oil volume it will be able to disipate more heat (you do know that oil is the engine's primary oil coolant don't you?) withstand more wear and suspend more contaminants than the smaller volume.

job on a BMW (or any other car for that matter). The pads cost the same as any car (anywhere from $35-85 per axle depending on brand) and even if you figure in the disks at roughly $80-100 per corner and throw in $150 per hour NY City labor rates it still doesn't add up to $2000.
But the most amusing (and perhaps telling) thing is that you apparently ended up with a Honda. Good luck with that automotive appliance, pal. I'm sure that it will supply many serviceable miles...
--
-Fred W

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 19:57:38 -0400, Fred W

Yeah? Wanna see the receipt for the full monty brake job on my M5?

Hondas are fine cars. Much better than the equivalent GM and Ford garbage.
--
Dan.

Did a four corner brake job for my 2002 325ci for about $300, BMW wanted between 900 and 1000. I just got a coupon from BMW for a $75 oil change. Joe
Dean Dark wrote:

Did that include calipers? I can't beleive anyone would pay $2000 for pads and rotors.

perhaps. In fact the rest of my family is enamored of them. But they are no more exciting than a Ford Focus to me, and a lot less exciting than a Mustang or Corvette.
--
-Fred W

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 07:56:05 -0400, Fred W

It was a bit more than *just* pads and rotors, but even just pads & rotors on any 5 is a minimum $500/axle at the BMW lodge.

My NSX wants to take issue with you over that statement.
--
Dan.

Dean Dark wrote:

OK, I'll buy that. So the entire brake job would be $1000 if one were inclined to waste their money by bringing it to a BMW dealership for the job. That's half of $2000, right? How much is a brake job on a Honda at a Honda stealership? Oh... what's that? about $1000 you say?

Yes. Too bad they have not made one in quite some time...
--
-Fred W

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 09:05:06 -0400, Fred W

Have it your way, I really don't have the energy to put a dog in this fight. Pay what you want to for the maintenance on *your* car.

Now you're on dodgy ground. I guess that even *old* NSX's are too expensive for you to buy and maintain properly, much less to have experienced and appreciated? Stroll on, sunshine.
--
Dan.

Dean Dark wrote:

WTF does that mean? How much does it cost for a 4 corner brake job on a Honda vs. a BMW at the dealership? Roughly the same was my point, contrary to the guy who posted $2000. Which would also translate to roughly the same at in independant garage or in your own driveway. Yes, you can choose to pay what you want for a brake job, but that is not determined by which brand car it is.

I'm on dodgy ground? So you are saying NSX's *are* readily available at the Honda Dealer lot? I did not say a thing about expense or maintenance. Only they are NOT AVAILABLE: "Too bad they have not made one in quite some time". Which one of those 11 words confused you?
--
-Fred W

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 07:21:13 -0400, Fred W

Try reading for comprehension.

Take a Ferrari in for a brake job if you think that's true....

Again, try reading for comprehension. The dodgy ground you're on is in relation to Hondas being "unexciting" cars. HTH, etc.
--
Dan.

Dean Dark wrote:

Nobody is talking about Ferraris. We are talking about 2 brands of cars here. BMWs and Hondas. Notice I said "which brand car", not "what brand car".

So again I ask you, what part do you not understand? You cannot buy an NSX at an Acura dealership today. They don't make them anymore. When they did make them they were technically Acuras not Hondas and yes they were somewhat exciting cars. BUT THEY DON'T MAKE THEM ANYMORE.
You are the one who seems to have reading comprehension problems.
--
-Fred W

If you take it to the dealer, you'll pay a dealer price. If you take it to the local brake place, you'll save money. If you're worried about the difference between dealer cost and independent, you shouldn't be driving a Ferrari. Same goes with any other car, a Honda is cheaper to maintain than a BMW.

I must have missed a lot in the past few days. Where did this come from? You want to drive a Honda, great. There are thousands of people out there that also drive Hondas and they are very well built cars. Those of us in this particular group choose to drive BMW's for various reasons.

I'll second this escept for the fact that Mustangs and Corvettes are no where near as exciting to drive as they used to be. I see Hondas every day to the point that I don't notice them unless the owner has done something to make it stand apart from the rest. Unfortunately that is usually a 3 foot high wing on the back of a Civic....

Good question, the NSX is a rare animal indeed and, as you pointed out, wasn't a Honda....

Which in turn is cheaper than a Ferrari. That's my point, but Fred's now headed off into the woods trying to defend himself with pedantry and semantics. He could probably get himself a job on George Bush's spin doctor team...

Actually, it was a Honda everywhere except in the USA. Mine has 'Honda Motor Company' literally written all over it, even on the door sill plates. It's a Honda, but with a Honda badge that's been squished to look more like an "A" than an "H."
--
Dan.

Dean Dark wrote:

No pedantry or semantics and it is certainly not me that is "woods bound". My position is (and always has been) that a BMW brake job is no more (or less) expensive than a Honda brake job.
Read back through the thread to where all this hoop-la began. The poster "tww", after extolling the virtues of his '01 Honda Prelude said this:
"I was considering a 3 series BMW until an owner gave me the bad news about the very high cost of maintenance -- like $2000 for a brake job which is needed at around 20-30k along with $150.00 oil changes."
My reply was that he was spouting bullshit and that a brake job done at a BMW dealership was no where near $2000. I also congratulated himself for buying an automotive appliance. I never said that NSXes were appliances, not did I ever even say that all Hondas are appliances, though that is certainly true (IMO) of what you can buy currently at a Honda (or Acura) dealership.
I made the point that a brake job at a BMW dealership and the same job at Honda dealership will cost you aproximately the same money. Care to refute that?
--
-Fred W