Oil Service Light Reset

Actually, the early Preludes were pretty good handling cars. In spite of being FWD.

The best handling FWD cars were, IMHFO, late 60's Minis. 1079 Cooper S's in particular. I had two of them at different times back then, and there was nothing else on the road back then that I had reason to fear.

Reply to
Dean Dark

Well, it's not a club, and therefore is not exclusive. But you have to admit there is a rather significant premium ($$) paid to be a BMW owner compared to a Honda in terms of initial investment. If you (or anyone lese for that matter) are not able to appreciate a difference (ostensibly for the better) in the more expensive car, why on earth would you pay the premium?

So I guess the exclusivity is that not everyone can appreciate that difference?

Reply to
Fred W

WTF does that mean? How much does it cost for a 4 corner brake job on a Honda vs. a BMW at the dealership? Roughly the same was my point, contrary to the guy who posted $2000. Which would also translate to roughly the same at in independant garage or in your own driveway. Yes, you can choose to pay what you want for a brake job, but that is not determined by which brand car it is.

I'm on dodgy ground? So you are saying NSX's *are* readily available at the Honda Dealer lot? I did not say a thing about expense or maintenance. Only they are NOT AVAILABLE: "Too bad they have not made one in quite some time". Which one of those 11 words confused you?

Reply to
Fred W

Try reading for comprehension.

Take a Ferrari in for a brake job if you think that's true....

Again, try reading for comprehension. The dodgy ground you're on is in relation to Hondas being "unexciting" cars. HTH, etc.

Reply to
Dean Dark

Nobody is talking about Ferraris. We are talking about 2 brands of cars here. BMWs and Hondas. Notice I said "which brand car", not "what brand car".

So again I ask you, what part do you not understand? You cannot buy an NSX at an Acura dealership today. They don't make them anymore. When they did make them they were technically Acuras not Hondas and yes they were somewhat exciting cars. BUT THEY DON'T MAKE THEM ANYMORE.

You are the one who seems to have reading comprehension problems.

Reply to
Fred W

If you take it to the dealer, you'll pay a dealer price. If you take it to the local brake place, you'll save money. If you're worried about the difference between dealer cost and independent, you shouldn't be driving a Ferrari. Same goes with any other car, a Honda is cheaper to maintain than a BMW.

I must have missed a lot in the past few days. Where did this come from? You want to drive a Honda, great. There are thousands of people out there that also drive Hondas and they are very well built cars. Those of us in this particular group choose to drive BMW's for various reasons.

I'll second this escept for the fact that Mustangs and Corvettes are no where near as exciting to drive as they used to be. I see Hondas every day to the point that I don't notice them unless the owner has done something to make it stand apart from the rest. Unfortunately that is usually a 3 foot high wing on the back of a Civic....

Good question, the NSX is a rare animal indeed and, as you pointed out, wasn't a Honda....

Reply to
Psycho

Which in turn is cheaper than a Ferrari. That's my point, but Fred's now headed off into the woods trying to defend himself with pedantry and semantics. He could probably get himself a job on George Bush's spin doctor team...

Actually, it was a Honda everywhere except in the USA. Mine has 'Honda Motor Company' literally written all over it, even on the door sill plates. It's a Honda, but with a Honda badge that's been squished to look more like an "A" than an "H."

Reply to
Dean Dark

Actually, everywhere in the world except North America, it was sold as the Honda NSX. Acura only existed in the US and Canada until very recently. Actually, I am not 100% sure that Honda ever followed through on their plan to establish the Acura brand in Europe.

See this webpage

Notice that nowhere on it is the word Acura.

Kevin Rhodes Westbrook, Maine

91 318is (better than any Honda ever made!)
Reply to
Kevin Rhodes

Robert,

I believe there might be a way to reset the light through the comb> I own a 2001 525i and I can't find the connector for reseting the oil

Reply to
viper

No pedantry or semantics and it is certainly not me that is "woods bound". My position is (and always has been) that a BMW brake job is no more (or less) expensive than a Honda brake job.

Read back through the thread to where all this hoop-la began. The poster "tww", after extolling the virtues of his '01 Honda Prelude said this:

"I was considering a 3 series BMW until an owner gave me the bad news about the very high cost of maintenance -- like $2000 for a brake job which is needed at around 20-30k along with $150.00 oil changes."

My reply was that he was spouting bullshit and that a brake job done at a BMW dealership was no where near $2000. I also congratulated himself for buying an automotive appliance. I never said that NSXes were appliances, not did I ever even say that all Hondas are appliances, though that is certainly true (IMO) of what you can buy currently at a Honda (or Acura) dealership.

I made the point that a brake job at a BMW dealership and the same job at Honda dealership will cost you aproximately the same money. Care to refute that?

Reply to
Fred W

You can buy a tool through Bavarian Auto or BMP in Texas that allows you to reset the way the dealers do. The tool is about $60. or $70., a small price to pay to avoid the agravation. I've reset my own service lights for 5 years this way. Obviously, it's paid for itself several times over

Reply to
hanging

That depends on where it's done. The parts are a bit more expensive but labor is where they like to rape you.

A $2000 dollar brake job had to be a complete replacement of everything including the brake lines and whatever owner gave him that news is an idiot. The $150 oil changes are apparently a dealer thing and they claim to do more than just change the oil.

There are so many Hondas on the road (mostly driven by kids) here that it's not funny. Don't know why you'd refer to them as appliances but I get the gist of it. They're just another cookie cutter car, nothing to set them apart from the other 50 just like it in the parking lot.

I'm sure he'll come back with a whole argument but I'm willing to say that it's cheaper to have the dealer work on your Honda than your BMW. BMW owners drive "a fine automobile" and expect to pay more to keep it in top condition and that allows the dealership to charge a higher price.

Reply to
Psycho

Good lord. I see you're still off on your arboreal adventures.

I happen to think you're wrong, but you've never been wrong in your life, have you?

Reply to
Dean Dark

I thought that too initially, until I heard the prices that the Honda dealerships are getting these days. I guess their justification is that the Honda is such a reliable car (and it is) that you should not mind paying a super-premium to have them work on it.

Of course the cost of brake work at dealerships is a moot point to me anyway since brake work on *my* cars always happens at the same shop. It's the one attached to my house (aka my garage). ;-)

Reply to
Fred W

Well, yes actually. I thought I made a mistake once, but it turns out that I was mistaken. ;-)

Reply to
Fred W

Just on a whim, I called the local Honda dealer today and was quoted approximately $400 for a brake service for a 2004 Camry (my dad's). This included new pads, machining rotors, inspection and adjustment. Not sure when they started having to adjust disc brakes but the avarage car owner wouldn't know the difference. BTW - If the rotors had to be replaced, the cost went up significantly. Needless to say, tomorrow I'l drop about $50 (probably less) on pads and we'll change the brakes. I guess they are charging a bit more these days...

Same here, I do all the work I can on my vehicles. Nice to learn what makes it tick and how to fix it when it breaks. Feels good not to be at the mercy of the mechanic although you may still be at the mercy of the hook pilot somewhere down the road.

Reply to
Psycho

An interesting thing to note there is that they would even consider "machining" the rotors. Most dealerships would never turn rotors these days. They claim it is not worth their time and prefer to just put on new disks. I wonder if they intended to do any machining at all, or if they were just planning on taking your money for that and slapping on a new set of pads.

You have to be so cynical these days...

Reply to
Fred W