Oil Usage - members poll

There's a low oil level warning light and a low oil pressure warning light. You're referring to the latter and you're pretty much screwed if that comes on anyway.

I know people who don't even know how to open their hoods/bonnets.

Reply to
adder1969

'03 330 - uses 1 litre per 5000 k kilometers this is "normal" as per my mechanic

Reply to
Choam Nomsky

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 14:45:28 GMT, "Tommy" waffled on about something:

Usually by the time that light comes on, it's too late. Most of the pressure switches don't activate until

Reply to
Dodgy

My 1994 325i doesn't use a drop between annual changes of synthetic oil.

Reply to
morris.jeffery

wrote

Another possibility is that the engine does use oil but it gets topped up by fuel as certain % of fuel dillution can take place, especially when the car is driven short distances. So, the level on the dipstick may remain unchanged.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

My E30 318i usually doesn't require any topoff between oil changes at about 7500 mi. The car has 177k miles on it. Ron

Reply to
Ron

E46 2000 323i.

This is my first BMW, got it with 117k miles. Now has 126K, changed oil once since I had it. Have to admit I am from an old school and changed it at 5000 miles. I used the BMW oil, seemed cheaper than the local auto parts store believe it or not. I am considering letting it go to

7500 between changes, again that may be wasteful again I am still old school, I still check under the hood (bonnet) almost every weekend.

Rob

Reply to
Robert

whoops, sorry need to keep the thread, has not ever needed a top off.

Rob

Reply to
Robert

It has a service indicator which computes when a change is needed - so why continue to go by just mileage? The type of use an engine gets determines an oil change interval rather than just distance.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I got a 03 325i and never had to top off... I drive the car hard and never had a problem with losing oil... the car has now 100,000 miles on it and I just service it every 15,000 miles .... never had a problem...

Reply to
675daytona via CarKB.com

This is a new one, does the mileage get adjusted based on driving conditions?

Rob

Reply to
Robert

Since the switch to OEM synthetic oil around 1999, a BMW service indicator will call for service (including an oil change) anywhere from about 13,000 to 18,000 miles, depending on how the car is driven.

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

Yes. Depending on the age of the car the service indicator computes the service interval in different ways - but basically the result is the same. A car driven gently with highway miles will go further before an oil change is indicated than one which does short trips and/or is driven hard.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Tom K." wrote

Although on some models the computer only takes into account the amount of fuel consumed. Still, that's a pretty good determinant and will result in different miles betw. intervals.

Pete

Reply to
Pete