Okay, now it's happened to me...

Please, nobody bother bitching to me about how this problem has been covered here before. I know it has, as I remember numerous threads on wacky Beamer climate control systems misbehaving, but rather than hunting down the best thread in the archive, I thought somebody could give me the quick answer, considering how common this problem is.

It's my climate control. Starting today, this is what it was doing: "Freezing" such that the motor speed and setting (as to where to vent the air) froze in one mode, totally ignoring my requesting other settings by pressing buttons, etc.; Switching itself on and off whenever it felt like it; sometimes apparently putting out cold AC air, sometimes heat, all without any input from me; sometimes going completely dormant, doing nothing at all. And sometimes the LED display would go dead as a doornail. In other words, the thing is going wacky, and I don't know much about electronic repair jobs. I've had that little resistor go bad previously which would cause the blower motor to completely become inop, but never this wacky shit. I was just in a dealership last week for a $1700 job that I paid them nothing for (cat. replacement) and the suspicious side of me wonders if someone may have tinkered with something to cause problems after I told them I didn't want any of their recommended work done (other than the cat. job). Any ideas, or am I gonna have to go searching the archives? Thanks to anyone for good feedback.

-- Cliff

Reply to
clifffreeling

If you're going to ask others to do your homework for you, the least you can do is mention what kind of car you're dealing with. BMW's made more than a handful, you know.

E36?

Mark

Reply to
Mark Mentovai

Oops, sorry, it is an E36 indeed ('98). BTW, I didn't ask anyone to do "homework" for me, just...well, re-read my post.

So, do you have any good feedback, or do you just feel like bitching at me?

-- Cliff

Reply to
clifffreeling

No need.

I did have good feedback. Perhaps you should reread MY post. Hint: look at the part right after what you clipped.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Mentovai

Indeed you did my little friend. I meant to post yesterday, but didn't get around to it. The solution presented at the site you gave the link for hit the bullseye.

For anyone who has an E36 with a climate control that suddenly goes apeshit, remember that link. All the pictures may not come in, but it's pretty clear nonetheless. I replaced and soldered in the new capacitor in question yesterday ($1.19 plus tax at Radio Shack), and there's been no problems whatsoever since, after a long test period.

-- Cliff

Reply to
clifffreeling