Old E23- No spark day after overheating incident

I have a 1980 732i, and have a problem. A few days ago, a coolant hose ruptured, and the car got not quite dangerously close to redlining the temp gauge. After fixing the hose & topping off the coolant, the car ran fine, and did so also later in the day when well cooled off. The next morning, and since then, have not been able to get the car to start, and it seems I am getting no spark. I am getting 12v to the coil, but no high voltage out of it while cranking. The coil measures 7.2 ohms accross the input terminals, and about 10,000 ohms from HV terminal to either input term. Seems like normal readings to me, but I don't know what is specified for this coil. I have not yet traced back any further than the coil input, and not sure how to procede in doing that. Anybody got any clues for me?

-- Stephen Sank, Owner & Ribbon Mic Restorer Talking Dog Transducer Company

5517 Carmelita Drive N.E. Albuquerque, New Mexico [87111] 505-332-0336 Auth. Nakamichi & McIntosh servicer Payments preferred through Paypal.com
Reply to
Stephen Sank

In the transmission bellhousing by the starter, you will find to sensors poking out the side. One is the reference sensor and the other is for RPM. Remove and reverse the sensor locations and reverse the wires too. If it starts then you need an new reference sensor.

Blake

Reply to
Blake Dodson