Older BMW 328is or Newer Chevy Impala?

Page 1 of 3
I drive back & forth to work each day (60 miles a day round trip) and have a budget of $15,000. I've narrowed down my decision to 2 possibilities and want to make a move tonight.
I can buy a 1998 BMW 328is with 80,000 miles for $15,000.
Or I can buy a 2005 Chevy Impala with 18,000 miles for $15,000.
I've driven both vehicles and like them both.
The BMW has a more expensive, smooth feel to it. I know that BMW is well manufactured and will probably last at least until 300,000 miles. The car is in immaculate condition, the owner was the original and only brought it in to trade it for a new BMW.
The Impala is almost brand new and low on miles. It has more interior room, room to stretch out. I've done some research on the Impala and they all say this is a car that is well manufactured, but I don't have any real experience to know if the '05 will stand the test of time.
Which would you buy in this situation? My biggest concern on the BMW are repairs. If this 328is breaks down I would most likely have to pay more to get it fixed than I would the Impala. How much more to fix a BMW than an American car, on average? I also need to know if the 328is is one of the BMWs that have mechanical defects or will not last, I've read of a few older BMW models not being very strong on reliability over 100,000 miles.
Respond to group, thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@cox.net wrote:

Check out the attached link to AllData.Com and make sure that the BMW has been in for all callback issues: http://www.alldata.com/TSB/06/98067833.html
On 27 Jan 2006 13:55:24 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@cox.net wrote:

You're trying to start WW III, aren't you?
--
Dan.

Why not buy a new car rather than depending on a car somebody else no longer wanted, to get you to your place of employment?
mike hunt

I'm not willing to endure the $5,000 dollars that goes up in smoke (depreciation) the moment you drive a new car off of the lot. I like being able to buy a car and if I need to, turn around and sell it at roughly the same price.
Why would you or anybody want to sell a new car they just bought?? It is not like one can find many used cars that do not have any mileage on the clock, it is the mileage and wear and tear that causes the deprecation. Buy a new car and let it sit in a garage for ten years and see what it is worth compared to one 150,000 miles on the clock ;)
mike hunt

Mike Hunter wrote:

Perhaps because the buyer has decided he/she does not like the car they bought?

What's your point? A 10 year old car with low mileage is obviously going to be worth more than one with 150k miles on it by a good margin. But by no means will it be worth anything close to new. As the OP said, there's a huge depreciation hit the first instant you take delivery of any new car.
--
-Fred W

Mike Hunter wrote:

One reason would be because it was a POS. I did that with a 2003 Chevy Malibu. I bought it new and unloaded it 9-months later. In 35 years, the wife and I have kept very few cars less than 10 years before gettting rid of them...that is until that one! You know the funny thing? The Malibu that year won the J.D. Powers award for initial quality. Pffffttt!

Perhaps you should have returned it as lemon under the lemon laws in your state.
However, there are plenty of people who have Malibus and love them. You may have just gotten one of the few bad ones.
Jeff

I agree Jeff.
I had an '03 Malibu LS that I bought as a "stopgap"since my lease was up and just wanted something to drive for a few months. I ended up keeping it for a little over 2 years. I almost hate to say it but it was one of the best cars I ever had. Of course it had all the goodies - not your average Malibu. That didn't help a bit when it was time to trade it though. It still wasn't worth anything to the stealer when I traded it on my BMW.

Spoken like someone who doesn't understand that there are perfectly good cooking wines, as well as perfectly good drinking wines. There is a similar analogy that involves women...
--
Dan.

LOL.
I didn't say I liked it, I just said it was a good car. Good meaning the same old song - "I never did anything to it except change the oil". Being something like the 7th generation, GM had the bugs out of it. Finally. Then they went to the new model and started all over.
Nobody is buying a BMW for reliability....
My SO's son just got rid of a 740i. What a rolling sink hole. Despite the almost weekly repairs, he say that he wants another one when he can afford the reapirs.
Ed

Newer 7 series are notorious for their problems. A BMW salesmen I use told me to steer clear.
Tell your son to do the research first next time. I would recommend the 530 which Consumer Reports rated one of the best cars on the road and was praised by the same salesman I referred to (they also dissed 7 series).
grinder wrote:

Note that was the E39, not the current 5 series.

The CR rating you are referring to was for the prior model. Here is what they have to say about the 1004 5 Series:
"The redesigned 2004 BMW 530i replaces the model that was CR's best car tested for two years. This new version has slightly improved fuel economy and rear-seat room. But these gains are offset by the complicated iDrive multifunction control system and less-agile handling. The BMW has a stronger powertrain than some competing models, such as the Mercedes-Benz E-Class, but doesn't match the E's balance of ride comfort and agility. Overall, the 530i is an excellent car, but it doesn't live up to the high expectations set by its predecessor."
I looked at the CR problem areas for both 5 and 7 series and while the 5 series looks better, it is still pathetic for a car that cost so much. CR rated 5 series reliability average, which surprised me given the large number of black and half black circles for the various years. Amercian cars that have better looking ratings usually get a worse than average rating. I gusess when you spend big bucks on a car it is OK if you get screwed on the reapirs. The consumer opinions for the 2004 5 series on the CR web site were interesting. Most people said it was the best car they had ever owned. Interestingly a couple of people who had a significant number of complaints gave the car four or five stars. Nobody trashed it.
Ed

People who pay big bucks for a car just can't be negative on it, even if repairs are big bucks.

A friend of mine got a Maserati Biturbo as a company car several years ago. A car lover and very wealthy man, he finally had to give up on it. He would drive it one week and it would stay in the shop for two.
Nobody can tolerate a POS forever, no matter what you have in it.
I doubt the BMWs are all that bad, especially when new, but I would expect more from a car like this. The German cars are beginning to lose their lustre to many people. Mercedes will hold its share of snob appeal, I guess, and Porsche has its diehard followers. Even Volkswagen doesnt have the reputation for reliability that it once had.
True...

Are they? I've seen no evidence of that.

I didn't know VW ever had that reputation. You talking about the 70's with the Beetle?

I have, particularly in Europe, and have seen printed stories which lend some support to this surmise.
I guess that in the USA the BMWs and Mercedes are still seen as prestige purchases.
As far as the Volkswagens are concerned, I have owned two, Passats, and both were exemplary cars. But I have also known other people who did not have such good luck. The old Beetles had a good reputation, deserved or not.