Older BMW 328is or Newer Chevy Impala?

Newer 7 series are notorious for their problems. A BMW salesmen I use told me to steer clear.

Tell your son to do the research first next time. I would recommend the 530 which Consumer Reports rated one of the best cars on the road and was praised by the same salesman I referred to (they also dissed 7 series).

Reply to
grinder

Note that was the E39, not the current 5 series.

Reply to
Mike Scheer

The CR rating you are referring to was for the prior model. Here is what they have to say about the 1004 5 Series:

"The redesigned 2004 BMW 530i replaces the model that was CR's best car tested for two years. This new version has slightly improved fuel economy and rear-seat room. But these gains are offset by the complicated iDrive multifunction control system and less-agile handling. The BMW has a stronger powertrain than some competing models, such as the Mercedes-Benz E-Class, but doesn't match the E's balance of ride comfort and agility. Overall, the

530i is an excellent car, but it doesn't live up to the high expectations set by its predecessor."

I looked at the CR problem areas for both 5 and 7 series and while the 5 series looks better, it is still pathetic for a car that cost so much. CR rated 5 series reliability average, which surprised me given the large number of black and half black circles for the various years. Amercian cars that have better looking ratings usually get a worse than average rating. I gusess when you spend big bucks on a car it is OK if you get screwed on the reapirs. The consumer opinions for the 2004 5 series on the CR web site were interesting. Most people said it was the best car they had ever owned. Interestingly a couple of people who had a significant number of complaints gave the car four or five stars. Nobody trashed it.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

JD Powers is a little different than enthusist magazines or Consumer Reports -they are in the survey buisness. They give the public the broad picture stuff and sell the details to the auto manufacturers. They cannot afford to be dishonest if they want to keep selling information to their "Customers." And before you say they are in the pocket of US Manufactuurers, they do a lot of buisness in the Far East, so they can't afford to play favorites.