Older BMW 328is or Newer Chevy Impala?

Page 3 of 3

I can understand your objection to the fellow that stated unequivocably that anyone driving a Civic has no concern for their own life. That statement is difficult to support. As is your assmption that anyone who says such a thing feels guilty about their larger car. :-)
-Russ.

My '91 E30 has one air bag, the '98 should have at least 2
Matt
On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 09:52:24 -0500, "Matthew Warren"
My '02 E39 has an extra air bag...whenever my mother-in-law catches a ride.

According to Kellys Blue Book, the BMW is overpriced by quite a bit. http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.ucp?kbb.TX ;;TX419;&75935&;213296&;;ucp;&9;BM;AS
I like the typical quality of the BMW engines, but don't know about the automatic transmission. I felt that some of the older BMW 3 series were a little lacking where body integrity (paint, mostly, but some panel issues too) was involved.
If I could get the manual transmission BMW for about $10,000, I might just do that and save the $5000 for eventual repairs and maintenance.
Given the current perception of GM quality, I would likely dodge the Impala.
If you are content in the Impala, and the BMW is not "really better to drive" (the impression you give), then maybe you should get the Impala! BMW's are for enthusiasts that feel the difference, which some people don't. For those of us who do, there is no substitute. The 328 will outlast the Impala by far. The driving pleasure it offers is tremendous and you will likely realize it soon enough if driving 60 miles a day! But it is overpriced, find a 5 speed or an auto that has been maintained (lifetime fluid is not really for the lifetime of the car!) I am selling a 540, 1994 with 125k miles for 7k, super condition! way better than the 328, half the $$! keep looking. With a bimmer, you NEED an independant mechanic that specializes in BMW, or you will be sorry! They are easy to fix also, if you have some wrenching capabilities.

don't.
better
or
+1 on this opinion. If one is having second thoughts between 328i and some American wreck then there is no doubt; he should buy this Impala car wannabe. Nothing personal, but if you don't know why you are buying a BMW then you better not buy it, you will be disappointed. It's not like you are comparing two similar cars; BMW isn't some gas thirsty ugly car without handling like 95% of American car industry (nus)products.
-- 328i coupe
Tomislav Buric wrote:

??? Oh, does BMW have a new model out? *LOL*

Get the BMW and never look back.
snipped-for-privacy@cox.net wrote:

A choice between a BMW vs. an Impala is really laughable. Of course you get the BMW. They are not even the same class vehicle. its apples and oranges. Anyway, if you are going to be driving a lot you get the luxury car not the family or sporty car.
I would expect cost over the long haul to be about even.
--
Thank you,

wrote:>

Well the old (somewhat flippant) response to that is something like, "if you're really considering both and you've driven them both, get the Impala, because the strengths of the BMW are lost on you."

I think if you factor in that the bimmer goes longer between more expensive repairs and a 1998 had done so much of its depreciation already, you are about right. Provided you have the right people looking after your bimmer.
-Russ.

That seems like a little high for the Impala. Leftover '05s never off the lot should be going for that. And others pointed out that that seems high for the Beemer, too.
And CARFAX both. GM could be trying to unload on you something they could not repair for someone else. Maybe the Beemer has issues.
20 Years ago, I bought my first foreign car, a Volvo, 6 months old with 14K miles on it. I was concerned about the cost of Volvo repair, since it was a "foreign" car. I figured out a couple of things:
If the car is simple, it's easier and, therefore, cheaper to fix. The BMW may not be as simple as my 4-cylinder Volvos but look under the hood and see if there's reasonable space in the engine compartment for getting things done. Is it an in-line engine vs a transverse V? Are the spark plugs, water pump, etc, accessible? If so, the time to replace/repair such things will probably be lower. While my Volvos (3 to date) have not been super-reliable, they have been relatively inexpensive to repair, so the total cost of maintenance has been very reasonable.
Trained mechanics matter. Is everybody at the BMW dealer good at fixing the cars? When I owned Chevys, two or three trips per problem was the norm. With the Volvos, I take it in once, they fix it and I only see one bill. 3 Hours of labor at $80 is cheaper than 6 hours of labor at $60. Plus unnecessary parts. I gave up the Chevys quite a while ago, perhaps they've improved but I wouldn't know. As around. Is there a local, non-dealer shop with people trained on your car? Do you know others who use them?
BMW seems to me to build the same car for a number of years. If this 328 was built 5 years into a 6 year run, it should be pretty solid and there are probably some design changes in it for reliability.
Have you looked at Consumer Reports?