OMG I need help, 325 running problem

OK, so i own a 1988 BMW 325 and i have a very weird problem. I am able to start the car but when i try to drive it, it seems to like sputter, like its not getting fuel possibly. One person i know mentioned something about a mass air flow meter, i also heard someone say something about the distributor, neither of these people were professionals. I dont wanna blow money on a part that i dont need either. Someone please help, i love my car and wish to be able to drive it soon, thanks!

Reply to
Quelvis

Could be:

vacuum leak

ancient distrributor cap/rotor arm. If they're original then new ones will almost certainly improve power and mpg.

Block fuel or air filter

Bad fuel pump or sticking pressure regulator causing low pressure

Reply to
John Burns

I already got a new fuel filter recently. I found this in the forum and is pretty much exactly what my problem is- "When I try to accelerate it will stop or nearly stop. If I lift my foot off the pedal it jumps back into life.

Also, I can be driving along and it will cut out for like a second and nearly throws me through the windshield. The car then carries on as if nothing happened."

Tell me if that clears anything up, thanks for the advice

Reply to
Quelvis

I already got a new fuel filter recently. I found this in the forum and is pretty much exactly what my problem is- "When I try to accelerate it will stop or nearly stop. If I lift my foot off the pedal it jumps back into life.

Also, I can be driving along and it will cut out for like a second and nearly throws me through the windshield. The car then carries on as if nothing happened."

Tell me if that clears anything up, thanks for the advice

Reply to
Quelvis

oh yeah also when i turn the key on i dont here the fuel pump running

Reply to
Quelvis

Clearly nothing wrong with your fuel pump then.

yes that was sarcasm.

Reply to
adder1969

ok, well i got it to start yesterday and we looked under the hood and found that one of the ignition wires was arcing to something, it was kinda hard to tell what it was arcing to though, obviously something metal. Could this be the cause of my main problem or is it just another thing wrong with my car

Reply to
Quelvis

I'm glad you pointed out the sarcasm in case someone missed it. My fuel pump (89 325i) doesn't run until I actually turn the engine over. The computer uses the pulses from the crank sensor to determine the engine is running and keeps the fuel pump running. Engine stalls, fuel pump shuts off.

Reply to
Psycho

Thats what i thought!!!! in ur face mister mean sarcasm man!!!!!

Reply to
Quelvis