open spoke in nasty weather

I'm looking at getting Rial Nogaro wheels, they look similar to BBS style mesh. Question: does the open spoke/mesh design allow for more water (i.e. rain ) and debris to get into the wheel well area where the brakes are? Would a wheel with more 'meat' (i.e. the M contour or similar) prevent more water/debris from exposure to the breaks/rotors?

Reply to
sportrider90

It might do, but I don't think it's an issue. The more exposure the brakes have to the elements the better. I would think most proprietory wheels allow adequate ventilation to cool the brakes in normal use. AFAIK there are discs available that fit behind wheels so as to close the openings in the wheels, through the 'spokes', from the brakes. They are not to be recommended as they interfere with the brakes cooling. My advice would be to simply buy the wheels you like, and not worry about trying to shield the brakes. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I have often heard this piece of advice, but have some reservations about its accuracy.

For one thing, the amount of air traveling "through" a spinning wheel has to be much less than the air coming from under the front of the car. Plus on most BMWs there are ports in the front air dam that collect and direct air at the brakes from the front.

Another thought, what happens with the base model cars with steel wheels and hubcaps. I know that these are not fitted with premium racing brakes, etc, but neither are the vast majority of people's cars that are asking and receiving this advice.

My educated guess is that those "clean wheels" things probably work quite well to reduce the amount of brake dust on the exterior of the wheels and I seriously doubt they would result in warped rotors or overheated brakes under normal street conditions.

YBMV

Reply to
Fred W

I agree, but how many of us always drive in a way that means brake cooling is never an issue? I certainly don't. :-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I guess I'm easy on my brakes. One or two hard stops is not very hard on brakes, even panic stops. What is hard on brakes is long continuous use (like when coming down out of the mountains) and lots of high speed use, such as when racing.

When I come down from the mountains I usually use considerable engine braking and I do not race.

Reply to
Fred W

Don't worry about water or debris getting in with a more open wheel design. That is a non-issue. The 19" wheels available on the E46 M3's are similar to the style you are looking at and they wouldn't be offered if there was a problem.

The only down-side that I personally know of for that type of wheel is in winter driving. It is possible to have a chunk of snow/ice accumulate during a storm while you're at work and you attempt to drive away without first cleaning the wheel there will be serious out-of-ballance situation that will be obvious at speed.

G.S.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway