Oversensitive steering

A question on steering! I recently bought a 2002 model E46 330 Ci Convertible and compared to my E46 320i find that the steering is over reactive to the conditions on the road. For instance, if I drive over a manhole cover or on a bumpy road the steering wheel moves just slightly in reaction. Also, on roads with a camber if find the car will sometimes pull towards the slope of the camber. This isn't the case in my 320i where the steering wheel remains straight. Can anyone explain why this might be the case? Does it have anything to do with the difference in suspension or that my 330 has larger rims?

Thanks for any answers/suggestions.

Reply to
jasoncoles_2

Hmm, now that you mention it I wonder if thats the problem. Shortly after buying it I took the car to a garage to have the tracking done. Crazily the swapped the rears for the fronts. When I took it back to point out the mistake I wouldn't be surprised if they hadn't rechecked the tracking and alignment when they reswapped them.

Reply to
jasoncoles_2

wrote

Could be. Wider and lower profile tires tend to transfer more "information" into the cabin/steering wheel. But like Ivan mentioned, get your alignment done, and not just at any shop but at a shop that's very familiar with BMWs. There are very specific procedures that need to be followed when doing an alignment on your car.

Pete

Reply to
Pete