P0371 code & M54 engine (Z3 2002)

Hi, I pulled this code from my engine. No evidence of any trouble except some lack of response from time to time but the spark plugs have 80k on them and the car 155k Where should I look at ? Cam shaft position ? Google didn"t provide any clue for the origin. Thanks

Reply to
frischmoutt

P0371 BMW Timing Reference High Resolution Signal A Too Many Pulses

I say, reset the computer and drive happy. Wait to see if the problem returns.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thanks Jeff,

This is what I found on internet, unfortunately no more. I don't know what sensor to look at and I love to understand :-) I've been driving quietly for months and except the oil consumption that dramatically increased since the last oil service, the engine is still smooth. And, yes, the error code reappears from time to time.

Frustrated regards :-)

"Jeff Strickland" a écrit dans le message de news: jkb0kg$nd1$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

Reply to
frischmoutt

I think you have two timing reference sensors on that car. One is a TDC sensor and the other isn't. Whichever is "sensor A," that signal is noisy. It could be a bad connector or a bad sensor. I'd clean all the connectors involved with the timing sensors with DeOxit and then pack them with dielectric grease if you haven't already packed them all with the grease. If it doesn't go away, try swapping the A sensor.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

ETK mentions 3 sensors; two on the camshaft and one on the crankshaft. Only one of the camshaft's ones is referenced. So, I assume that it's an option or an old reference not mounted any longer.

I've no idea where they're mounted. There are so muck things looking like these sensors that it makes difficult to locate the good one. TIS is no use.

regards

"Scott Dorsey" a écrit dans le message de news: jkg2lv$62s$ snipped-for-privacy@panix2.panix.com...

Reply to
frischmoutt

Get the Haynes, it will tell you where they probably are and what they look like. Or get the factory manual, which will tell you precisely where they are. You want the electrical volume.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Thks, I'll do that.