Parking brake handle (E36)

I just purchased a used E36 M3; the previous owner removed the stock leather handbrake handle and put an aluminum aftermarket thing on. I would like to put a stock handle back on. The BMW dealer doesn't sell just the handle - you have to buy the whole lever assembly. So I did, thinking I'll just take the leather handle off the new lever and put it on the one in the car.

The question is, how do I take the handle off? It seems to be glued on very tight. I'd like to avoid replacing the whole lever, if possible.

Any help appreciated.

B.S.

Reply to
B.S.

It definitley slides off, it may be stiff, but it does come off.

Trunky

Here are some handbrake removal procedures

  1. Remove the rear section of the centre console
  2. Slacken and remove both the handbrake cable locknuts and adjusting nuts, and detach the cables from the compensator plate.
  3. Disconnect the wiring connector from the warning light switch then undo the retaining nuts/bolts, and remove the lever from the vehicle.
Reply to
preps

What's the problem with replacing the entire lever? Get the boot to cover it up, and move on to another project.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Is there anything special to know about removing the rear section of the center console? Do you just pull it off? I can't seem to find any info on this -- don't want to break it.

Reply to
B.S.

If you take the back seat ash tray out, you will find some screws hiding inside.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland