Parking in Neutral

I live in Thailand and have just purchased an X3 with the Steptronic auto transmission. Parking in lots and garages in Bangkok require you to leave the car in neutral in certain areas so that it can be
manually moved. How do I park the car in neutral? The BMW salesperson says it can't be done! But I think that it is not possible to sell such a car here, so there must be a way. Can someone help? Thanks
In the States, the car must be in Park to remove the key, so your requirement would be impossible to meet. If your car can meet the requirement, then all you have to do is shut the engine off and take the key out while the transmission selector is in N. If you can do this, then you are okay, if you can't do it (we can not do it in the States) then you can't do it and there is no way around it that I know of.
I have never heard of a requirement as you stated.

Just pull the lock out and remove the linkage so the key can be removed with the prindle in any position. It's a major pain to get the thing apart, but once it's apart it should be an easy job.
Of course, anybody wanting to move the car will still have to contend with the steering wheel lock. --scott

I do not think that is possible. The barrel and tumblers define the locations where the key can be removed, and as far as I know there is only one location where this can be accomplished. To remove the key in any other location would require a worn out lockset, or a lockset that was specifically designed to allow the key to be removed in a postion other than Park.
My '81 Jeep has a worn lockset, and I can remove the key at any time, and unless the ignition is set to the LOCK position, I can operate it without a key. But, my beater Jeep is not designed that way, it has survived 27 years of abuse and this is just one of the systems that is worn out.
Given the safety and security of a BMW lockset, I doubt that any BMW will ever have a lockset that works as the one in my Jeep. And I seriously doubt that the OP has the need he has stated.

By removing the linkage, you can turn the key to LOCK even when the prindle is set to a position other than PARK. --scott

DUH! Of course you can. Sorry. I don't know what I was thinking.

Just curious, how does it work? I mean, how do they move it? Do you leave them the key? I'm guessing no, since then they could just put it in neutral on their own. But if you leave them no key, how much of a movement can there be? They just push it front/back? Obviously they can't steer and if the car is locked, they can't brake either.
Pete
wrote

leave
neutral
if
simple really, park with the wheels straight and no handbrake on...

No good I'm afraid. You have to this auto in park before you can remove the key.
--
*I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in public

wrote

Yeah, like that's a safe thing to do ...
Jeff Strickland wrote:

typical american pov - Is there someone we can sue for 3billion?

What will hold the car in place if it is left unattended in Neutral and without the Parking Brake set?
I'm damn near certain that there is no Offical Mandate on the part of any government anywhere to leave unattended automobiles in neutral and without setting the parking brake. If anybody has evidence to the contrary, please post a citation ...

In general, parking spaces are insufficient in most locations. Therefore, all lots allow additional cars to park perpendicularly in front of the cars already in their stalls. These additional cars must be in neutral so that the parking lot attendant can push them (foward or backwards only) to let cars out of the stalls. All garages have level floors so there is no need to use the e-brake or put in Park. It's just the way it is here and you usually wind up parking in the perpendicular position at least 50% of the time. So the car must be able to be pushed. I had a 318 previously with the same transmission and I don't remember this being a problem. I think BMW has changed the transmission. The X3 is a built-up car, i.e. the parts are shipped in and then it is assembled in Thailand. Parking like this is such a common practice here that you do not think to ask if a car can do it! You just assume it!
Used to be done by an interlock bowden cable directly from the lock barrel to the gear lever. Don't know if this is still the case.
Is it an unofficial import? If not and this is is common practice in Thailand, what does the Thai distributor have to say?

I have heard of this modification too, But BMW says that any such tampering will void the warranty of the entire vehicle!
On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 06:00:16 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Whatever - is LAW to park in Neutral ------- I don't think so therefore it cannot be done ---- Buy a nissan!
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor