Pass Air Bag Off Light - 2005 X3

Whenever the passenger seat is empty, this light is on. It is driving us nuts! We had the vehicle in to the dealer for the seat sensor recall, and the Service Advisor said that was normal. Had a 2010 as a
loaner, and it was off. Mother-in-law has a 528 I sometimes drive, and it is off. Should this light be on if there is no one in the seat? If not, how do I turn it off.