Petrol Octane - Was: Considering a BMW - A Few Questions

Page 2 of 2
Dodgy wrote:

Yours? Imagine how confused we are living here... ;-)
--
-Fred W

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 17:55:12 -0500, Malt_Hound

As a Brit living in the YooEss for 20 years now, let me tell you that my mission is going to take longer than the time I have left on this planet. Not only have I failed to persuade them to measure their beer correctly, I have also made zero progress getting them to raise their petrol prices to European levels. And don't even get me started on George W.
--
Dan.

Sod the measures. How about trying to get them to make a *real* ale? ;-)
--
*I don't work here. I'm a consultant

How about just real beer? There are a few low production breweries that make acceptable brews, but the mass-produced stuff is uniformly awful.
R / John

Getting that way in the UK too. Isn't 'progress' wonderful? ;-(
--
*If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.*

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 13:11:00 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

However, the beer situation in the US is actually improving. Many of the second and third tier breweries are producing passable brews, and some are downright excellent. I'll put in a plug for Victory Brewing Company, who have lasted for 10 years and are now distributing across about half of the US. Their Prima Pils supplanted Pilsner Urquell as my favourite Pilsner 3 or 4 years ago. www.victorybeer.com.
--
Dan.

Don't know where you live (I'm not a beer connoisseur, but...), but up here in the NW (WA & OR - where 60% of the *WORLD's* hops are grown!) has so many brewpubs and small independents it's easy to get good stuff. Many places have a couple dozen beers/ales/etc on tap.
FloydR
SNIP

Deep South. Anchor Steam, not close to a full selection of Sam Adams, a couple others. Lean pickins and the nearest brew-pub is over 100 miles away. But the NASCAR crowd that predominates here is a Bud/Bud Lite and Miller/Miller Lite constituency, so I'm the clear minority.
R / John

Sad. Up here, Sam Adams is clearly 3rd rate. IMO, Miller/Bud are not even 4th rate - 5th or 6th probably, behind other local mid-range mass-market beers (Henry's, for instance.)
FloydR
So is Carling Black Label (lousy). But I have been impressed by the larger number of good beers in the USA.
Sam Adams (available in UK) and Yuengling (in Philly area) to name but two bigger brands. Taking the microbreweries into account -- and there are many -- I find a good choice of good beers in the US.
DAS
"John Carrier" < snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...
On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 13:00:57 -0000, "Dori A Schmetterling"

Sam Adams and Yuengling are both inferior beers, mass produced using adjuncts such as maize and rice. Better than Bud and Miller, I'll grant you, but still far from good beers.
--
Dan.

They freak out even more with our pavements, bonnets and hoods, not to mention bigger gallons.
They often don't know they even exist... ;-)
DAS
"Dodgy" < snipped-for-privacy@earth.planet.universe> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...
Since we're on this topic, I thought I might ask why there's a discrepancy in the octane numbers in the different states here in the US.
I've lived in NC, MA and CA. - NC - premium 93, plus 89, regular 87 - MA, premium 92, plus 89, regular 87 - CA, premium 91, plus 89, regular 87.
Why the difference?
Anoop

Given that all US octane is calculated, AFAIK, as (RON+MON)/2, shown on the pump as R+M/2, the CA rating can be explained simply by the fact that Californians are wacky. I don't know about MA.
--
Dan.

Pilgrams are just mirror images of Californians.
Eisboch

To a large degree, the differences are due to the additives required for EPA air pollutin control - many places have ozone and evaporation requirements that cause different amounts of oxygenates. That's one of the biggest problems with our gas distribution/refining system - a couple hundred areas all with their own blend.
FloydR
The descriptive words are meaningless. Just the numbers matter.
DAS
"Floyd Rogers" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...
anoop wrote:

PON (Pump Octane) for premium varies between stations in a given state. There is no requirement or regulation that says what the octane must be to qualify as "premium". The only requirement is that the price and octane number be clearly posted on the pump.
Most stations in my home state (New Hampshire) have 93 / 89 / 87. What's interesting is the price difference between the 3 grades is often the same (Usually 10 cents). Given that one would have to say that they are either getting screwed on the 89 or the 93 is a bargain. ;-)
--
-Fred W