PICS: Dealership abandoned still full of 1980's NEW BMW cars

Surely everyone has heard of Barnfinds where you find some unmolested car from years ago. But what about a dealership find? More specifically an abandoned BMW dealership new cars that have been sitting since the 1980's....

From EndrasBMW

**** For some twisted reason we?re all attracted to the mysterious allure of an abandoned building. In Oakville, Ontario there stands a building that for a petrol head trumps even the eeriest of places. At only a stones throw away from our dealership in Ajax, Ontario we?re surprised we haven?t heard about this place before. Sifting through the forums on MaxBimmer we?ve been able to formulate some sort of idea of what has gone on.

The story goes as follows. In 1988 the dealer, located on Royal Windsor Drive and operating under the name ?Citation Motors?, had his concession license revoked due to unknown reasons. They then moved to Toronto under the name ?Downtown BMW? which in 2002 closed up shop. The owner, apparently a well-off German business man, seemed to have no interest in selling the place, or even the inventory, as everything seems to have been left behind intact. One hundred percent frozen in time is the only description that seems fitting when describing this ultimately interesting place. In the showroom you?ll notice an E28 and 635csi BMW in absolute mint condition. Well, mint may be the wrong word to use as the rubbers have probably given away and the gasoline has made a mess of things inside the mechanical bits. ?Unused? may be a better word to describe these twenty-three year old cars. Especially the 635csi, which apparently only has 68 or

6000 kilometers on the odometer, depending on which source you believe. Also note the typical 1980?s showroom interior furnishings, architecture, and design.

Around the back you?ll find the shop, which in similar fashion to the showroom has remained completely untouched. Frozen in time and packed with BMWs. From one individual?s account who has had the privilege of visiting the dealership we can conclude with a certain degree of confidence that another mint dark blue 635csi, a 1984-77 733i, a dolphin blue E21 or 2002, and another 635csi on a hoist, rest inside. You can make out what other cars are back there by carefully analyzing the pictures below. The Toyota 4Runner may not be original 1980?s, but the three sets of keys on the wall certainly are.

Rumor has it that once or twice a month an individual in a black E28 pulls up and spends some time in the back. Apparently the owner once quoted someone who was interested in the white 6 Series a price of $75,000. That was about five years ago. Adding to the mystery that surrounds this dealership, many have come forward claiming to know the owner, yet none of their stories seem to match up.

View the attachments for this post at:

JLA

So the tyres stayed pumped up for 23 years?

Even on a new car this strikes me as highly implausible.

I would expect one or more of the fluids in the car (petrol, oil, coolant etc.) to have escaped and stained the floor too!

Might be a whizzo way of marketing some concourse and very low mileage old BMW's, but no I would not want one now.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

I don't know, a NOS E24 6 Series or E28 5 Series would be very nice as Ilov= e the looks of those cars. Obviously, even if they have had little or no ca= re, I would definitely replace things like the wheels and tires (can you ev= en find TRX tires anymore?); fluids - differential/tranny/radiator/brake mu= st be changed immediately; and check things like belts and any other rubber= parts for cracks. Otherwise, start up, drive and see what else needs chang= ing. Good Luck!

Reply to
bfd

SNIP

SNIP

Wheels, disks and probably pads would still be OK. If the handbrake was left on it could be siezed.

Diff, tranny and gearbox fluids would probably be OK, but check for leaks.

Engine oil could be OK, but best to replace.

I would flush coolant and replace.

Washer fluid probably evaporated so fill with alcohol and water and flush through.

Drain fuel and pump some fresh through the lines.

Battery will be goosed. So will satellite ones in computer, radio etc.

Tyres probably useless (I haven't bought a TRX since the 90's, but they are probably still available).

The brake fluid would definitely need replacing as it will have absorbed a lot of water with potentially lethal results.

Any rubber parts could be perished (bushes, seals etc.)

I had an E23 735i in 1985. By the standards of the time it was a great car - ~150kW, 5 speed box, ABS, AC, computer, good handling etc. etc. It is only comparable to mass market cars (Insignia, Mondeo) now and current or recent 735's are light years ahead. Things I had to retro-fit into my second E23 (like hands free phone) are standard features now and we all take built in Sat Nav for granted.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton