Pirelli Tires

My 2003 5 Series came with Pirelli tires. On a recent trip from LA to Phoenix, the tread on the rear passenger tire separated forcing me to change
the tire. These tires had 27,000 miles.
Camelback BMW in Phoenix told me that the 5 series "eats" tires and only gets about 25,000 miles. They sold me four new Continientals.
Has anyone else had this experience?
I have Pirelli P6000s on my car, though not a BMW and still only at 23 000 miles. No sign of anything abnormal and a good amount of tread left. At your mileage I would just have expected less/insufficient tread, but not a disintegration.
You were driving normally, presumably?
If so, a little note to the tyre manufacturer might be in order.
DAS
"Tucker" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:uL6dnXE_p8TYTCnenZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com...

Don't know what Pirelli tires you had, but many of the low profile, "high performance" tires are built to be softer and "gooey" for high performance handling. The downside is that these type of tires wear much faster. I have a friend who bought a Porsche Cayenne with performance type tires. He had to replace them in less than a year.
Eisboch

Depends on the model, but this is about average for rears.

The "rain" tyre. Good choice for Manchester UK where I live (>200 rainy days per year), but not so sure for arid Arizona...

What? Tread separating??
DAS
"R. Mark Clayton" < snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:dp391l$dgc$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

If they were worn near to the carcass and/or driven at speed with dangerously low pressure, then perhaps.
Huw
Indeed, but not "average".
Happy New Year. DAS
"Tucker" wrote

"Eating tires" as in wearing them out quickly and tread separation are two different things. Getting 27K miles out of a set of performance tires is actually pretty good. But tread separation should not be occuring at any mileage. Did the tire get damaged by road debris? Was it running with insufficient air pressure?
Pete

Difficult to say why you had tread separation, but inflation pressure, excessive wear, or a road hazard could have done the deed.
My '03 530i SP came with Michelin Pilot Primacy, an all-season high performance touring tire. They would not have been my choice, but they offer good (not great) grip, are predictable, decent in the rain and have over 37,000 miles on them. The mileage, particularly over our local lousy roads, amazes me. So, it hasn't been "eating" tires, but then its not the V-8 (heavier, more nose heavy, more torque to the rear tires, etc).
Next set will probably be Goodyear F-1's if tire rack keeps their great price on the Y-rated tires in my size.
R / John