PLEASE HELP with this computer message

MY 1999 535 E39 Auto cut off at a traffic light.My Dash computer reads ENGINE FAILSAFE PROG. & TRANS. FAILSAFE PROG.The car is not starting. B4 i
take it to the repair shop what could be the best and worst diagnosis to expect. OR simply what could have happened and what are the likely solutions.
The car has detected a failure that will cause damage, so it shut itself down. I suggest an independent BMW service center as opposed to one at the dealership. My limited experience is that these shops are as good as the dealer service, but with much lower overhead.

This can be caused by low battery voltage. If you have the original battery a new one is worth a try.

When you say it's not starting, what happens? Nothing - or the lights etc dim? First thing I'd check is the battery volts which should be over 12. A low battery because perhaps of a failed charging system or the battery being knackered will give just this result.
--
*Rehab is for quitters