polishing alloy wheel rims?

I've got...or should say 'had'...mirror polished rims on my alloy wheels.
http://www.randcjones.plus.com/pics/Dec%202005/bbs.JPG
The centres are painted and lacquered, but the rims are un-lacquered.
I've managed to keep them looking ok with a combination of polishing and then waxing, but last week I didn't get time to clear the car, and now the salt from the roads has started eating away at the rims.
The surface on one of 2 is starting to look a bit pitted....but you can't really feel them.
The metal polish I was using before doesn't seem to be touching it now.
Any ideas on what I can use to clean them up and also what power tool/polishers are available as I can only seem to find angle grinder types and I don't think they will be small enough to do the job?
Thanks