power steering failure

i have a 2001 740IL and i noticed that my steering was making a strange noise when i turn and when i left for work in the morning i noticed a puddle of liquid in my drive way that was a light colord oil like substance but was not water. then a day later i lost power to my steering all together. could a hose from my resevoir come lose and lost all of my fluid or did my P/S Pump fail.

Reply to
tre'

The most likely reason would be a hose failure. Either because of chafing, or as you suggest, a leaking union. Anywhere on the system IME p/s pumps rarely give problems, as long as the fluid level is maintained. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Yes.

If you gotta ask, then my suggestion is to go to your nearest service center ASAP.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Seems to me the first thing to check is the reservoir - if it's empty it will give you a clue.

BTW, it's not good practice to drive a car which is leaking unknown fluids. Could be the brakes...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)