power steering failure

i have a 2001 740IL and i noticed that my steering was making a strange noise when i turn and when i left for work in the morning i noticed a puddle of liquid in my drive way that was a light colord oil like
substance but was not water. then a day later i lost power to my steering all together. could a hose from my resevoir come lose and lost all of my fluid or did my P/S Pump fail.

The most likely reason would be a hose failure. Either because of chafing, or as you suggest, a leaking union. Anywhere on the system IME p/s pumps rarely give problems, as long as the fluid level is maintained. Mike.
Yes.
If you gotta ask, then my suggestion is to go to your nearest service center ASAP.

Seems to me the first thing to check is the reservoir - if it's empty it will give you a clue.
BTW, it's not good practice to drive a car which is leaking unknown fluids. Could be the brakes...
--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost? *