Premium Gasoline

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 09:29:30 -0400, Fred W

Easy there, Fred. The "real" answer is as it frequently is in these groups - RTFM!
(That's "Read the F-ing manual, for those that don't know.)
The manual doesn't usually say "premium" for the reason that Dori mentions - different methods in different countries.
The OP does not give an actual single recommended number (89 or 92) but it would surprise me if the manual did not state a figure.
DAS
"Toby" < snipped-for-privacy@charter.netspam> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Fred, do you live in CA? My '91 525i M50 says 90AKI/95RON in the manual. I don't believe that the VANOS M50TU was any different.
FloydR
On 24 Jun 2006 16:43:14 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

    My perspective is that this is a false economy. I don't know about the 1994 model, but my 2003 325i and Z4 have 14.5 gallon gas tanks, one of which I fill once a month. Going down one grade of gas will save me $2.90 per tankful at the most. Less than an espresso drink at Starbucks, an issue of Bimmer magazine, a movie rental at Blockbuster, or a pack of cigarettes. Getting a BMW and then cutting corners is like ordering custom-made dress shirts made with a cheap poly-cotton blend.     epbrown -- 2003 BMW 325i Black/Black 2003 BMW Z4 Black/Black
E Brown wrote:

The 2003 325i has a 16.6 gallon tank.
Anoop
snipped-for-privacy@att.net says...

Agreed, the savings are small. But isn't it true that most recent BMWs can automatically adjust certain aspects of engine operation to match lower octane gas? In other words you may sacrifice a little performance but no harm will be done.
--
Peter Aitken

Peter A wrote:

Yes, that is true of almost all cars today. If the engine has a knock sensor, it can sense detonation and retard timing and make other small changes until the engine can live on the fuel you feed it. In most cases you will lose power and also fuel economy. If you lose more than 8% in fuel economy, it's a wash and you'd be just as well off buying premium for $.20 more per gallon. In my case, my Z3 1.9L gets 26 mpg on premium 93 octane. If I drop to 91 octane and get 25 mpg, or 87 octane and get 24 mpg, it will be the same fuel cost per mile. Smiles per mile will also drop.

If it's retarding the ignition because of lower than ideal octane it will also give poorer MPG as well as performance. The trick is working out the actual running costs.
--
*Why isn't 11 pronounced onety one? *