Problem with rear window washer

I have a problem with the rear window washer on my E46 touring, and I was hoping that someone using this fourm might have some input on how to fix it.
When i start the car with the back wiper in the "off" position, the wiper starts automatically and washing fluid comes out. it continues doing this until i switch the wiper into the "on" position (the wiper still runs, but no fluid comes out).
Has anyone experienced a similar problem?
Thanks for any input!