problems with 325i transmission.

I have a problem shifting into 1st and 2nd gear in my 325i E36. When the car is not working it goes through gears fine but when its running 1st and 2nd feel rough. As the car worms up it gets a bit better.
Ive canged the bushings on the shifter but this didnt help. Do I need to change the gearbox? I hope not. Please help.
Nedavno vanbasten1 napisa:

Wrong gearbox oil?
--
___ ____
/__/ / \ ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **

condition of the synchronizer without tearing the transmission apart, but I don't know of one.
Jim

In the old days we used to test a synchro by letting the engine tick over and pushing the lever into gear - the linkage used to be directly into the casing and not on the outside - haven't seen a BM box for a long time.
If the engine revs fell one could assume the synchro rings were Ok. Another test was to let the car pick up speed by itself - no appreciable throttle - in first then lift off and try to slip it into second - if it went in easy then no problem but this only works going up the box.
However a true sign of synchro ring problems is Crunching the gears. If it jumps out of gear it is usually the synchro-hub springs and balls and locating plates.
Hugh
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

vanbasten1 wrote:

Sounds like maybe the clutch is dragging a bit when fully depressed (disengaged). This would make it hard to shift into gear when the engine is running.
--
-Fred W

I cahnged the oil from 80W to 70W. This made the shifting a bit better. But there is still a problem.

Er! Are you sure that it requires oil this thick? I remember the old Rover V8 gearboxes used engine oil and had a rear bearing oil pump and I recall that this was based on the ZF boxes that BMW use.
Nedavno snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com napisa:

So does my E30 M10 316.
--
___ ____
/__/ / \ ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **

I haven't been following this thread, but if you have a hard-shifting manual transmission, I have found Royal Purple SynchroMax to do wonders.
Bob