problems with 325i transmission.

I have a problem shifting into 1st and 2nd gear in my 325i E36. When the car is not working it goes through gears fine but when its running 1st and

2nd feel rough. As the car worms up it gets a bit better. Ive canged the bushings on the shifter but this didnt help. Do I need to change the gearbox? I hope not. Please help.
Reply to
vanbasten1

Nedavno vanbasten1 napisa:

Wrong gearbox oil?

Reply to
Yvan

Perhaps the synchronizer is worn. There may be a way to evaluated the condition of the synchronizer without tearing the transmission apart, but I don't know of one.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

I'll try chnging to different oil. we'll see what happens. Thank you.

Reply to
vanbasten1

In the old days we used to test a synchro by letting the engine tick over and pushing the lever into gear - the linkage used to be directly into the casing and not on the outside - haven't seen a BM box for a long time.

If the engine revs fell one could assume the synchro rings were Ok. Another test was to let the car pick up speed by itself - no appreciable throttle - in first then lift off and try to slip it into second - if it went in easy then no problem but this only works going up the box.

However a true sign of synchro ring problems is Crunching the gears. If it jumps out of gear it is usually the synchro-hub springs and balls and locating plates.

Hugh

Reply to
hsg

Sounds like maybe the clutch is dragging a bit when fully depressed (disengaged). This would make it hard to shift into gear when the engine is running.

Reply to
Fred W

I cahnged the oil from 80W to 70W. This made the shifting a bit better. But there is still a problem.

Reply to
vanbasten1

Er! Are you sure that it requires oil this thick? I remember the old Rover V8 gearboxes used engine oil and had a rear bearing oil pump and I recall that this was based on the ZF boxes that BMW use.

Reply to
Oscar

Nedavno snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com napisa:

So does my E30 M10 316.

Reply to
Yvan

I haven't been following this thread, but if you have a hard-shifting manual transmission, I have found Royal Purple SynchroMax to do wonders.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smitter