Protective windshield coating - anyone have this?

I'm really sick to the back teeth of having my BMW windshields damaged (and once a crack forms, replaced) all too frequently due to stone damage.
Even the >tiniest< pebble will leave a large gouge in the soft
multi-layered glass!! My local dealer says they do a whopping 12 w/s replacements a week, proving I'm not the only owner to suffer.
I heard that these guys claim to have invented a coating that will reduce the effect of stone impacts: http://www.diamonfusion.com/en/products/autoglass.html
Have any of you heard of this or even had it installed?
The chap who used to service my old grey Peugeot had it done to his Saab. The results were very impressive. I presume the coating they use has exactly the same refractive index as glass, because you really couldn't "see the join".

PS That was quite a few years ago, so I also presume that things have got better since then.
The only reason I didn't have it done on my Peugeot was because the repair would have cost more than the car was worth!