Pulling out the spare tire: stupid, stupid... STUPID!

Page 1 of 4
I decided to rotate tires this morning, using the spare tire.
The retaining mechanism is nothing short of STUPID.
It has a vertical threaded stud and a flynut.
What do you think happens when you pull out the spare tire, taking 2-3 moves because it is not exactly light?
The stud can scratch the mag! I have now a 3/4" scratch on my mag.
Now that you know, pay more attention than I did. But it is a bad design. In more conventional cars, it is the contrary, you have a long bolt that will screw in a threaded hole.

Here's what you do: trade in your current car for one of the newer ones that come with run-flats and have no spare to scratch taking it out of the well. Or, start lifting weights.
Floyd
I would say that bimmers are not, "conventional" cars, I have never had a problem. but ususally you can avoid this type of problem by familiarizing yourself with how these things work before you actually need to use them. Im sure there is a good reason for the design, maybe the fact that with "spirited" BMW driving, the conventional retainer didnt hold up...sounds like a problem of user error to me....
User error; yes to an extent. But the design is awfully prone to this kind of incident.

Understandablew, I've run into issues of the same sort... I usually cuss for a while, sometimes bleed a little, and then go back, and discover that there was some sort of logic to how it was done... thats usually followed by a general cursing of German engineers...

I'd love to know what's difficult about lifting the spare in a vertical plane before moving it to one side?
Anyone with a modicum of mechanical knowledge would do just that.
If no modicum, leave it to a pro. Because you'll probably f**k up the torque settings of the wheel bolts too. ;-)
--
*A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 22:44:19 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

It's the difference between the engineer's approach to something mechanical and an if-it-won't-fit-then-force-it view of things. You're unlikely to educate someone who already left an academic environment about how to do something like this, much less actually understand it. They simply won't be able to see why they should have to think that way.
They should be able to just push a button, and it happens.
--
Dan.

Sorry, maybe I should have prefaced that comment, the cursing, bleeding, and cursing, usually occurs under the hood. the best example I can think of is the steering rack, disassmebly and reassembly. Everything fits together very neatly, its just that logic doesnt necessarily follow the order of assembley. When you have to tighten or loosen two seemingly unrelated bolts to get an plate to come out of the way, you start to curse. oh and Dan, shut up, your not that smart....If I had a dollar for every "engineer" I see standing on the side of the road trying to figure out where the spare is even located, I would be a very rich man. BTW..I build software all day for a real job and Im still able to do 95% of all the work on my Rovers and Bimmers. So where does that put your mechanical-engineering theory....?

I dunno, but I started writing software for a living in 1977. I've screwed up software and I've screwed up engineering. Taking a spare wheel out of its storage well hardly counts as engineering in my mind. I'm not sure what your point is.
--
Dan.

I never had that trouble.
The wingnut is loosened, the plate is lifted out, and the tire then comes out. If the tire is placed with the shiny side up, then if it is inadvertantly dropped, the scratch happens to the inside where nobody will ever see it. The advantage of this system is that if it is dark out, the long screw is secured to the floor and one does not have to search for it at the end of a 10 inch shaft in a hole in the dark.

Sorry, but it is just not true. My mag proves it.

Sorry, your crying is falling on deaf ears. Not deaf so much as uncaring. If you move the floor out of the way, it is an easy task to lift the tire out on the first try.
PS I believe there is no recommendation to rotate the tires anyway. I finally threw away a brand new tire that was 12 years old.

If
Make no mistake; on Bimmerfest, many reported having made the same mishandling. This bad design (I have seen better) is like a trap. I am sure that this thread will remind at some point people to be more aware of that risk when handling the spare tire.

Sounds like you're ready to trade the piece of shit in for a Hyundai.

That's YOU'RE, not your. Sorry, I hate to do shit like that.

No, actually it is your. "crying" in this case is a gerund, i.e. a verb used as a noun. Hence your is correct. Think of it this way. You wouldn't say "you are dog". You would say "your dog".
Are we having fun yet? :-)

I meant to say, you are crying on deaf ears, that means I need the contraction form of you are, or YOU'RE. Your is possessive, your crying on deaf ears makes no sense.

Well, but the complete sentence is "your crying is falling on deaf ears" making the subject (crying) a noun and not a verb.
At least in the context in which you originally used the word. "Falling" is the verb, not "crying".

In that case, never mind.

Perhaps if you stuck with aluminium alloys they might not scratch as easily... ;)