Pulling out the spare tire: stupid, stupid... STUPID!

Actually, you are one among some imbeciles who polluted it with your moronic attitude, because those NGs are not moderated so your ass (who definitely needs to be kicked) is always covered.

Reply to
Saintor

Who CARES? How can you expect him to answer? Mag wheels are kind of a generic term and if you look up in Ebay with "mag wheels", you'll get 10s of results that are not related to magnesium wheels.

Reply to
Saintor

Enlighten me, if you please, as to what point in time Ebay became the arbiter for discussions on this or any other auto forum. If that is your standard for accuracy it isn't difficult to see why some of the people on this ng find you and your comments ridiculous

"Mag wheels" is not a generic term. You are either too young, too inexperienced or, and I say this with kindness in my heart, too dumb to know that.

Reply to
Ross Garrett

Hmm...this would appear to be an inequal, if perhaps entertaining, contest...

JRE

Sa>Actually, you are one among some imbeciles who polluted it with your moronic

Reply to
JRE

Sure it is. Stop splitting an hair in 4 and acting as an asshole.

Reply to
Saintor

In the UK used by chavs who drive Corsas and Saxos. True magnesium wheels ain't suitable for road use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Top posting, bad grammar, and stupid.

Reply to
Dean Dark

I kind of hate to stick up for you with the way you have been acting here, but yes, "mag wheels" *is* a generic term for any aftermarket alloy wheels, especially in the US.

And no, this is not something new. This one goes way back:

Back in the 60's and 70's we used to call the heavy chrome wheels (Think Cragar) that were commonly put on Hot Rods and Muscle cars "mags", even though there was absolutely nothing magnesium involved.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Mag wheels have always been chrome plated cast wheels. I cannot think of the last time I saw any interest specific periodical or book refer to alloys as "mags". Nor can I remember the last time I spoke with anyone who refered to alloys as "mags" until reading this stuff from saintor and yourself.

Yes, there was a time when finished alloys where first hitting the market that people lent the term "mag" to the wheels, but that was, and ended, 20 years ago. An alloy is an alloy and a mag is a mag. Neither being generic the generic for the other.

When is the last time you read any auto magazine, watched any auto show, either here or in Europe, in which they used the term "mag" when refering to alloys?

Reply to
Ross Garrett

You're probably right, but there are gen-oo-ine magnesium wheels out there for the fanatics. A typical 15 inch magnesium wheel weighs in at 5 or 6 pounds. They're expensive, sure, but if you really care about unsprung weight then there's no alternative. Just don't get a car fire...

Reply to
Dean Dark

I appreciate your information, but the only point of my response was Mr. Hound's agreement with saintor that "mag" is an accepted generic term for any and all alloy, cast or plated wheels.....regardless of what wheel the term "mag" is specific to.

And the simple fact is that it's just not the case. In the old days when plated cast wheels (mags) were standard upgrade and alloys were just becoming popular the term did overlap. But it's been 15-20 years since any standard of terminology, that which could be found in published text, referred to alloys as "mags".

Maybe on ebay, but not in the automotive world. But this does not negate the fact that "mags" still exist in the aftermarket, particularly in the hip-hop genre of Spinners or Spreewells. And you are correct that some are actual magnesium while other are of the original design of chrome plated cast wheels.

Reply to
Ross Garrett

I think that *you* missed the first three words of my post. Read them again. They were really the only point of *my* response. I don't, as they say, have a dog in this fight. Except to say that magnesium wheels are mighty fine for those who really care about such things.

Reply to
Dean Dark

Whatever. Semantics. This is just such a stupid thread from the very beginning...

Reply to
Malt_Hound

I sign all of my posts (Fred W)

What do you think the wheels were cast from? They were an alloy underneath the chrome plating. But that is not the point...

The point is that the term "mag" is still an identifier of wheels. Yes it would be more correct to use the term "alloys". Who cares. You people have taken the OP to task for using one silly term when his posts were otherwise riddled with tripe.

-Fred W

...you doesn't have to call me Johnson.

Reply to
Malt_Hound

It was your 4th word that indicated conflict with my earlier post. Maybe you didn't mean it that way "but" it came across to me as such.

No problem. Perhaps it was my mistake.

Reply to
Ross Garrett

You jumped in to correct me and I responded. Don't go about pouting like your above the fray. It's kind of girlie.

Reply to
Ross Garrett

Why are you arguing this with me if you don't know what a mag is. The Cragar SS, the essential epicenter of mag development, was a steel wheel (yes, steel rim) with an alloy center pressure casted to it, so no bolts or rivets would have to be used. In those days the knowledge did not exist that would allow anyone to manufacture a totally alloy wheel with the necessary strength.....hence the need to cast an alloy center to a steel rim.

A mag is called a mag because of the inventive attachment process, not because of the materials used.

Reply to
Ross Garrett

Nice. Now you are moving on to name calling.

A quick google shows that you have contributed absolutely nothing of any value to this newsgroup, so I'm confident that I will not be missing anything ...

-- Fred W

PS - If your phone doesn't ring, that'll be me.

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Just as girlie, just as expected.

Reply to
Ross Garrett

geez, it there really a page about what a mag is and isnt... cmon, you guys, you must have something better to do than argue this point...and to that end, havent you heard... "arguing on the internet is like winning the special olympics... everyone thinks they are the "winner" but they are still all retarded..."

Reply to
Corey Shuman