Pulling the cylinder head on a 90 325is...

With the help of another novice I am attmepting to replace the head gasket on a 90 325is.

We pulled out the radiator.

We took off the valve cover.

We took off the timing belt cover, and noted where the "camshaft wheel" was when we released the tension on the timing belt.

I know when you release tension on the timing belt you should get a new one. But mine was replaced about 7000 miles ago, and to keep things simple we are just going to use the same belt. The less we have to disconnect the better we are.

We have successfully disconnected 10 of the 14 required bolts in the exhaust piping. Seems like we might have to jack the car up to get to the remaining

4 bolts.

And we have taken off about 12 of the nuts on the air intake manifold (we should have counted but did not.) We are having a hard time getting the air intake manifold disconnected from the head (maybe we can pull out the head with the manifold connected and then find the remaining bolts on the manifold that need to be disconnected.)

Does anyone have any basic guidance. We want to get the head off and get it to a machine shop for inspection. And in the process we will replace my head gasket which I sure hope is the source of my leak (it sure looks like it I think). And of course, I will be using new head bolts when we next attach the head (its that torque to yield thing.) We are going to eyeball the each 90 degree the best we can.

If anyone can offer any guidance, especially where disconnecting the intake manifold from the head is concerned, it sure would be appreciated (like how many total bolts and where are they???)

Thanks in advance.

- Ben

Reply to
Ben Martin

I pulled the head on my 1989 325ic at Christmas. I pulled the head and intake manifold together. (Thats what the Bentley manual said to do.) The only problem with this method is that the assemby is rather heavy, but I did do it by myself, so it can't be too bad.

I think you'll find that there are some hoses and brackets still connected on the driver's side underneath the intake. Pull the head and intake together: you'll find them.

Reply to
Thomas Wright

It would be a good idea to get yourself a copy of the Bentley service manual.

Reply to
Jack

I have removed and replaced the heads from two e30s and fortunately I was ok.

There is a breather hose ( actually an aluminium pipe ) with a spring that runs vertically below the intake manifold into the sump. This may be your problem. It will push down about an inch to give you some room to manouvre but it makes removing the inlet manifold awkward. It also makes replacing it a bit trickey as well - dont forget there is an O

-ring at the top and bottom!

Other things I noticed to watch out for:-

1) There are 12 nuts for the intake manifold plus two more for the thermostat housing. 2)The throttle body can be removed searately with 4 nuts. New gasket on refitting - I would say. 3)Don't forget the coolant hose into the heater through the bulkhead. 4) I don't know whether you are American or European but I think that the exhaust manifolds are different. American - 2 three port manifolds - 12 bolts. European - 1 six port manifold - 12 bolts. 5) When replacing the head make sure the block is clean use emery paper to clean the surface - you won't scratch it deeply - it is made of iron. 6) Make sure all inlet head sealing surfaces are "bare metal" clean - plastic pan scourers work well - fine emery should be fine but don't overdo it! 7) You may find releasing the head from the block difficult if it has never been off before. A suggestion would be to remove the head bolts before removing the exhaust manifold. The use CAREFUL leverage between the manifold bottom and the engine mount area just to break the seal - i used a small pillar jack with care and it seemed to work.

Hope some of this is helpful.

I will post again if I think of anything else.

Reply to
David Matkin