Puncture Repair on 19" 's?

Hi,
I've just found a nail in the rear tyre on my 2004 M3 fitted with 19" wheels, pressure is going slowly, 48 hours and lost 5-6 psi, but the nail is
still in.
A quote from BMW for tyres is 200 each + VAT and fitting, 484 total.
I have measured the distance from the edge and it's approx 70mm or 3" from the side wall, can this possibly be repaired?
Does anybody know where I could download the measurement guide showing where it safe to fix?
The car has done 17,000 miles and there's still a few thousand miles left on the tread, if I could safely get it repaired and save myself a lot of money then I would!!!
Thanks in advance
Daz
You could probably save a few and patch where its at, however, if you drive in a spirited manner, you run the risk of the patch giving up and the tire blowing, resulting usually in rim damage at a minimum (unless you slide off the road out of control) Suck it up and pay for some new tires (note the s, replacing one is a waste of money and will make the car ride funny.- at a minimum replace both tires on the front or rear.)

Depends a bit on your driving. In days gone by I would have replaced the tyre and rotated to even up wear etc. on each axle. These days I drive more sedately and might repair. OTOH I don't go for this low profile stuff, which if anything is more likely to be a problem if fixed.
If you push your M3 hard you should replace the tyres. If you have one you can afford it.
Daz wrote:

Yes, but there are two problems. 1) the tire will no longer be Z rated. 2) the balance will never be right again even if they rebalance it unless they use a roadforce balancing machine and even then it's a crapshoot.

If the tires have done 17k miles I would just call it a day and replace both tires on that axle. A few thousand is not worth it considering all the agrravation you re likely to endure.

You are welcome in retard.
--
-Fred W

I wouldn't even consider a repair for the sake of a few hundred quid. But I would shop around on tyres. I got a full set of 18's for my M3 for 560 a few months back at QuickFit. Okay, 19's would be more but you should be able to get a new set of rears for less than the dealer price.
Anyway, 17K from a set of rears!! You must have DSC on ALL the time ;-)

BMW had the 19" ContiSportContact which is specifically designed for the M3 for 200 each + VAT, Kwik-fit had the same for 208 inc VAT. Both garages wanted me to leave the car for an hour... now I'm not saying I don't trust Kwik-fit but I know who I'd rather leave an M3 with for an hour... ;-)
I do have DSC on all the time!!!

Looks like Kwik Fit have dropped their 25% off deal so maybe 200 isn't so bad after all. Any for the sake of a afew quid you can at least kick up hell at the dealer if there are any issues... like damaged rims after fitting.
Still wouldn't repair. As said elsewhere the tyre is no longer rated correctly which I assume would have a bearing on insurance and would worry the hell out of me for high speed driving.
Anyway, when the roads are dry get the DSC off for a bit. Totally different car without it nannying you all the time :-)
Daz wrote:

That seems not too bad but you might get down to about 400 all in for a pair by shopping around/haggling.

High speed (W and up) tyres should not be fixed with a glued plug type patch *ever*.
It may be OK to get a vulcanised repair done but it's getting harder to find vulcanisers. Expect to pay 30-50 if it's doable.

Vulcanised repairs don't have the same limitations as plug patches, I've had lower speed high profile tyres fixed with holes right on the corner. The deal seems to be that provided the carcase is undamaged it's fixable - never had a high speed tyre done though.

You should probably replace your tyres at ~3mm tread, certainly well before 1.6mm, so your tyres are probably due to be dead really soon.
If you are getting more than 20k from a pair of rears you should have bought a 316i... ;)

I'm beginning to think my M3 isn't being driven right!!! I never find anything worth racing!!
So DSC off in the dry weather, sport button pressed and make sure the road is empty ;-))
C'mon summer!!
Thanks everybody for your comments.

Its not about racing, its about driving the car as it was designed to be. Best way to get to grips with what the car can do is a an M driving day. BMW run these fairly regularly. Lots of fun (and you use their car!)

I've seen them at Rockingham, only 179 but I think I'll wait for summer, although handling 343bhp RWD in the wet would be fun!
3" into the tread from the sidewall? Yes, it can be repaired. Go to a tire store and have it fixed, DO NOT go to the dealer. The tire guys will not repair it if it can't safely be done.