question

Hi, I need some help, I did something very stupid, and accidentally pour some anti freezze in my dads bmw in the atf container, do I need to flush it, or actually have it flushed, or would it be ok, i did not pour that much in just abput 16 to 20 oz at the most, please help, I need to take care of this before he gets backin town

Reply to
botero17

Which "ATF Container"? If you mean a black round one with a round cap.. usually located on the right as you look into the engine compartment, you've contaminated the power steering system. It would seem hard to get

16-20 Oz in.

Or - did you fill the automatic transmission with anti-freeze?

Did you run the car?

In either case - I think you'll need the help of a professional to fix this - not fixing it may cost thousands of dollars in repairs. I suspect you're slightly out of your depth here - so open the yellow pages and look for "Auto - Import Repairs" and start calling. I'd suggest having the car flatbedded to them - trying to drive it may cause some very expensive damage.

Reply to
admin

the round black one to the right for the power steering...what can I do?

Reply to
mmdc1900

Call a dealer. They'll probably tow it and then fix it. Cost a few hundred dollars.

One reason why I don't do home repairs other than changing the oil.

Reply to
kpb

how bad can the damage be if I drive it over to the dealer? do you know?

Reply to
mmdc1900

Call the dealership and ask them that question. How lucky do you feel? If you poured ethylene glycol into the automatic transmission fluid, and attempt to drive that car even a few blocks, the likely hood of a rebuild transmission is in your immediate future. How big is your dad, and how does he react when he gets angry? Have you seen the movie "Ferris Bueler's day off"?

Reply to
wernergr

Financially very bad.

See, oil wants to float on top of water. When you put water into a hydraulic system, it will go to the lowest possible point that it can get to.

Right now, that point is in the reservoir, and MAYBE possibly a little in the pump. If you drain the reservoir and the tank, put it all back together, and refill it, it'll get it all out.

Once you start the engine and the pump starts turning, it will mix everything in the system up, and the water is once again going to go to the lowest place it can get to, which in this case is probably the hydraulic actuators on the rack. Draining THAT is a lot more work.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey