Question - keys & rust

Just out of interest: What metal do they make the OEM keys from (standard yellow/gold hue)?
And, are they are coated after machining - does this account for the
yellow/gold tint?
Reason I ask is I'd like to know the possibility is of them to start rusting after many years of use.
Class-1 wrote:

Keys don't rust.
--
-Fred W

Well, my former 316i's key that lay "lost" in the gutter for two years (including winters, with salt on road) disagrees :) But I do admit the conditions were exceptional.
--
/"\ Jan Kalin (male, preferred languages: Slovene, English)
\ / http://charm.zag.si/eng /, email: "name dot surname AT zag dot si"
Jan Kalin wrote:

Was it an original key or a duplicate? I have never seen a key blank made with ferrous materials.
--
-Fred W

If I can find it I'll check and report back.
--
/"\ Jan Kalin (male, preferred languages: Slovene, English)
\ / http://charm.zag.si/eng /, email: "name dot surname AT zag dot si"

Most keys are made of Brass - they don't rust.
Some OEM keys are steel, and will rust if left out in the weather. Would be very unusual for a key to rust under normal usage though. But I did have a rusty Peugeot key that had been left in a magnetic key holder under the bumper for 20 years. :-)
Kevin Rhodes Westbrook, Maine 91 318is