Question re Fire Extinguishers

It is my understanding that BMW does not factory-fit fire extinguishers to ANY of its models. They are dealer-fit only.

I understand extinguishers are not a legal requirement in some countries (like Germany). I also understand that it's up to the customer to cough up the cash for that option no matter if it's a legal requirement or not (hey - that's the BMW way after all). =)

  1. The thing I would like to know is why is this not something that is carried out at the factory?

and

  1. Since they are usually fitted under the driver's seat, does engineering take this into account when designing the seat or is this just a coincidence? To put it another way - if I don't have my dealer put one in, will I have weird big blank space under the seat??
Reply to
Class 1

I, for one, have never heard of a fire extinguisher as being required equipment. I live a sheltered life in California, but I did grow up in a family that got by on the car business, so I have a pretty solid background in cars.

I can say that there is no way a fire extinguisher would fit under the driver seat of any of my cars, with the possible exception my ancient Jeep, where I mounted the extinguisher in the space between the seat and the outboard side of the body.

The only times I have seen a fire extinguisher in a car, the owner mounted it himself, it has never been an option of the car maker that I am aware of. This would make your understanding correct that BMW does not offer them for any model.

Reply to
J Strickland

To the best of my knowledge, it is not a legal requirement in the UK, but my

1993 525i has a FE fitted in the boot on what looks like a factory fit mounting. Not sure if this was related to the spec in anyway (this is an SE model).

Mercs always had them fitted under the seat IIRC, but again, not sure if this was optional - my guess is that it is.

Jason

Reply to
Dotcom Computers

"J Strickland" wrote

Fire ext., emergency triangle, and first aid kid are required equipment in the car by Polish law, for example.

AFAIK, my dad's '99 Nissan Primera came with a fire ext. installed just under/in front of the front passenger seat from the factory. Other cars just have it installed in the trunk. Not sure what BMW does in Europe...

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Relatively few countries have a FE as required equipment, hence manufacturers aren't going to include this just for a minority market. First aid kits and warning triangles are required in many countries, hence they are standard.

BMW offer a FE as an accessory, not an option. I believe on the 3 it goes under the seat, at least it did on the E36/E46.

Reply to
zerouali

Well, I've had two E39s, and currently have an E46 - if I remember correctly, all three of those have had FEs mounted underneath the driver's seat (certainly on the E46). (I also know someone with an X5, and it's in the same location there.)

Now I'm faced with the choice of (paying for) and having one dealer-installed on my next BMW.

I can't make up my mind if it's actually worth coughing up the cash and having the dealer fitting one since it isn't a legal requirement. For one thing I don't appreciate some trainee grease monkey drilling holes somewhere in my new car.

Do you think it's really necessary to carry a heavy FE on board these days, even if it's not required by law?

Reply to
Class 1