Questions about Hartge 645 5.1 car.

[I placed originally in alt.auto.bmw.... what's the difference?]

Reading previous posts, seems like you guys hate the Bangle look, but I'm wondering what you guys think of the Hartge version of the BMW 6? Especially how it looks?

The enlarged grill does give it retro look, but I'm undecided on whether it seems out of place or not. The 6 has some gentle lines and curves and the grill's appearance is too 'strong'. Yet, at the same time, I like that stronger look. So I like it, and I don't.

Anyways, how did Hartge design their front spoiler? If I wanted to redesign the front spoiler/panel of my 6 and get it built and to replace my stock panel, how would I do so?

Would I need CAD software? Can I make a sketch, talk to a designer, and show him what I'm thinking about doing? This whole tuning thing is pretty cool.

Reply to
DaLoverhino

This is a car designed to do 250kph. The fastest I have driven a BMW is ~230kph and it was nice and stable.

Many years ago when I tried taking a Rover 3500 SD1 over 200kph it alarmingly started scooping air alternately on each side, rocking the car. You could take off (like the Merc' at Le Mans) if you get it wrong.

If you start messing with airflow on a 645 you will really need to know what you are doing!

  • PhD Aerodynamics, a wind tunnel etc. etc.

PS a modified car has higher insurance premiums...

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Looking like this, it better do *at least* 250kph:

bfd

Reply to
dave

Ah, so the front spoiler makes it look faster? Hmm... that's interesting. I'm thinking about getting my 6 done this way. They told me I have to ship my car out to Germany for the engine rebuild. But, I'm thinking I'd stroke my engine at Hamann (make it 5.2), and get the spoiler, drivetrain, brake, and suspension upgrade by Hartge, then put a AC Schnitzer trunk lid, and side skirts. I like what all 3 tuners do, but not everything.

I know it would be easier and maybe even cheaper just to trade up for an M6, but this seems way cooler. :)

(then my girlfriend, sisters, and parents kills me for my complete waste of money.)

So what you guys think?

Reply to
DaLoverhino

I think it looks like crap personally. Reminiscent of a Pontiac Grand AM or something...

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Factory BMW's (like many production German cars - Audi, Merc etc.) are limited to 250kph (~156mph). Aftermarket work might remove this.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Hush. Wash your mouth out. Mustn't say things like this in a BMW NG about such a holy (and EXPENSIVE) car...

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Nah a Jeepney see

A 645i is a great car as shipped, and actually comfortable to sit in (I am

2m tall). A friend of mine has a superb manual, which reminded me of the two manual 735i's I had in the 80's.

There is little point in messing about with a complete car. If you really want to go faster then save up for something that will e.g.

Ferrari Aston Martin Bently GT or possibly Porsche

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

The Hartge reminds you of a Jeepney? How so? In the fact that they both look ugly? So maybe I'd replace one of the BMW logos with a picture of a pig. :)

By the way, I rode in a Jeepney. They are loud as heck, packed, and are converted US WWII jeeps. Well, historically they were.

Fun and interesting ride, regardless, but that's probably because it was a novelty for me. Manila has taxi cabs, and actually some really nice ones too. I had a good time in the Philippines.

Reply to
DaLoverhino

What's that got to do with cars in general and BMW in particular?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

:

and a comment

I said that tacking on that plastic crap would make a stunning BMW coupe look like a Jeepney.

I gave a link to a page of examples of the oeuvre, but basically a Jeepney is a stretch jeep with a mountain of tat, bells and whistles used as a taxi in the Philippines.

No doubt residents of Manila think they look great (in the same way that the OP thinks plastic skirts, spoilers and wings look good on a top beemer), but to the unpractised eye they look like rolling piles of junk.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

LoL. But my reply was to DaLoverinho's comment about a good time in PH.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling