Radio/Cassette compatibility question 2001 E39

I have the standard E39 'Business' radio cassette and a boot 6 CD Changer (which seems to be faulty). Anyone know if there are any boot units that are MP3 compatible that
work OK with the dashboard head unit? If the answer is no, what upgrades are available for the head units? Thanks David
DCA wrote:

None that I am aware of.

Pretty much anything that you want to stuff in there will work. You can research what fits here:
http://www.crutchfield.com /
Their prices aren't bad either and the service is excellent. No affiliation, just a satisfied past customer.
--
-Fred W

Fred W wrote:

If I were resident over in the US - I'd certainly consider it - thanks for the info though David (UK)
DCA wrote:

Oh, sorry, did not catch that. But the info on what fits is still valid.
--
-Fred W

Fred W wrote:

Sure ( my fault for assuming the groups was predominantly UK) - and the pointer is appreciated. Thanks David

I'm not particularly recommending this supplier, although I bought from them in 2004, but this is what you need (fits with the standard BMW mounting hardware that you already have): http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/407.html and one of these: http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/409.html and one of these: http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/1280.html
Works a treat! The only disadvantage is that you might have 100 or more MP3 tracks on one disc, and your head unit only displays track numbers (the display rolls over to 1 when it reaches 99) so you can only select a track by pressing the Next Track button. Best to set up your tracks in an acceptable sequence and just let it play, or use the Random function. Chris.
Chris wrote:

Thanks for this. It seems the Sony T69 is a cheaper option but no MP3. I'll consider both - thanks David
Alpine makes a six cd changer that is identical form factor to the factory unit. IIRC, it requires a converter (from soundscape or other) to match the car's M-bus. The MP3 cd's, which can hold over 100 songs will show up on the display as track 1-100 and will then cycle to 01 and so forth for those beyond 100. You should be able to Google a description of the install. Takes about 10 minutes.
OR, you can use an Icelink and replace the CD changer with an ipod. More songs, better interface and not that much more money.
R / John

I'll second that. I already owned the iPod so it was a no-brainer for me.
The ICE>Link Plus is a fantastic bit of kit, also get a ProClip mount....
I bought from www.cooltopia.co.uk as they were the only UK based place I could find which stocked both.
Site looks a bit ropey but they company are fine...
--

Shevek

Get DigiGuide - a downloadable desktop PC TV and Radio Guide
John Carrier wrote:

Superb tip for the IPOD. Hardware MP3 is just what I wanted Thanks David