Radio Code entered but stereo won't play

I bought a 91 BMW 735i and the radio had the word "Code" on it. I looked in the owner's manual and retrieved the code from there. I had to enter multiple times before it actually took. Now the stereo turns
on and will find stations using the seek buttons but no sound plays. I also can't seem to set the clock. It doesn't take any of the entries I make.
Radio code can't be entered more than 3 times incorrectly. If that is done, you must reset it by leaving the radio powered on, but not playing obviously, for about one hour until it says "code" again.

I thought it took twice as long before you could have another go each time - 1, 2, 4, 8s ...

It's dead, Jim...
Seriously, if it will tune in stations and the display looks fine, either all of the speakers are dead or more likely the amp inside the radio is dead or in the case of an external amp it's dead or not getting power.
I know I'll get flamed for this but my experience has shown this is the common problems..

Perhaps someone has had it out and not plugged the speaker cables back in?
Where exactly did the car and radio come from???
Thanks for all the advice and sorry it took me so long to reply. It was in the Car when I bought it. I haven't had a chance to take it out yet and I haven't tried to play a CD from the CD changer.