Rain Sensor Broken 750il

The Sacramento BMW dealership tried to diagnose my apparent broken rain sensor on my 2000 750il. It worked only the first time they poured water on the windshield and then wouldn't work after that. They weren't
sure how to fix it. They're supposed to get back to me but they mentioned the possibility of having to replace not just the rain sensor but the entire windshield. Are there other possible things to check to avoid having to replace this?
Eddie wrote:

How about the manual switch? You do know how to operate it, don't you? And you do recognize rain, don't you?
Of course, this thing is like 6 years old now. You ought to junk it. I'll give you $2000, cash money, right now. But you have to deliver it. Fortunately, right now it's too cold to rain in Wisconsin. -- C.R. Krieger (Been there; tried that)