Ratings

I see that "Consumer Reports" rate BMW's very low. Actually most European cars are crap. Benz the worst. VW trouble. Audi junk. I was contemplating getting a BMW, but not now.

Thanks.

They tested the E39 530i about 3 years ago and called it the best car they ever tested.
R / John

Robot dj wrote:

Good for you. I think you'll be very happy with a Toyota Avalon. Why not look for an Avalon group and tell them how happy you are you didn't make the mistake of buying a BMW?

It's funny you mentioned the Toyota Avalon. I went to the used car dealer to drive an Avalon. It drives very well - quiet, smooth shifting auto-transmission, great sound system...
But then I drove the 1997 528. I liked it much better and ended up buying it. I gave up my old 525 and haven't looked back.
"Robot dj" wrote

Great. More for us. Now go get a Toyota and be happy with your appliance.
Pete
Pete wrote:

Be best if he gets it in basic white.. more like the refrigerator design they are.
Boooooorrrrrinnnnnggggggg......

Get a Honda and a blue hair rinse. You know it makes sense.
--
*The most wasted day of all is one in which we have not laughed.*

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 17:41:36 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

Hey! Me and my NSX want to take issue with you over that.
--
Dan.

But seriously: More often than not if you have any expertise about a product class the Consumer Reports evaluations are good only for laughs. They can indeed identify the best mass market product for the inexperienced and ignorant. That hardly makes it best of breed. Logically we should all drive Toyota Priuses or Honda Civic Hybrids. I have a Prius. In fact it is the second one I bought. Its great for what it is. I highly recommend it. I also have a BMW. Guess which car you will have to pry out of my cold, dead hands no matter what the cost of gasoline goes to . . .

If it's like the CA ('Which') in the UK it costs quite a bit to be a member and get the full reports. Because they don't accept advertising. So most just get the bits which are released to the press. And the press being the press just quote the bits which suit them out of context.
I've been a member of the UK one since near its start. Of course you might disagree with the shades of grey in their reviews but they certainly have their uses. For domestic appliances I've always bought on their recommendation without complaint.
The annual member's survey of cars tends to not be that far off the JD Power survey - and is likely to come with those without an axe to grind.
--
*There are two kinds of pedestrians... the quick and the dead.

And just exactly what makes you believe the folks at CR are experts or know anything more than you? Do they identify the background and experience of the reviewer?
Example, I've been into audio for many years and know quite a bit about audio equipment. I read consumer reviews recommendations and laugh at their total lack of understanding or knowledge about this subject.
I expect their car reviewers are the same. I've owned three European auto's and Saab 900S in the 80's, a 2001 VW Passat, and my new E90 BMW that I've had since last August. I bought the Saab second hand and it had allot of issues and was under powered, but I still thought it was fun to drive. The Passat has been outstanding and I still consider it a benchmark family sedan. Almost bought another one when I got my Bimmer, but always wanted Bimmer so I bought it. So far it's been superb.
CR is full of shit! Or, maybe I'm playing right into your hands as you are just stirring it up.
On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 17:39:50 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@user.net wrote:
My mistake. He's not "Dotson", but a cretin/troll nonetheless.

Yes, I read Stereophile and TAS, too. In the same vein, I don't think that Porsche and Ferrari drivers are looking to Consumer Reports for reviews on their prospective purchases, do you?
Don't be a snob, there's a good lad. Consumer Reports and Which? are very good consumer guides.
--
Dan.