Rattling Noise In Wheel Area

I have a loud rattling noise that comes from my left rear wheel area when I go over bumps or rough areas in the road. The rougher the road the louder
the rattle, but mysteriously the rattle disappears if I have the brakes pressed even slightly. Does anyone have any speculation as to what this might be? I can't imagine what would cause it not to happen if the brakes are applied. Thanks in advance! I have a 1994 325ic.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here, you have worn suspension bushings, and when you apply the brakes the noise goes away because you are efrfectively binding the suspension against the 4000 pounds of vehicle.
If the vehicle is moving forward, and the brakes are applied, then the suspension is going to be pulled rearward and it will bind against the fixed points of the undercarriage. When you release the brakes, the suspension can flop around unrestrained, and you hear this as a rattle. Replacing the suspension bushings should solve your complaints.

Jeff Strickland wrote:

Exactly. Thanks for typing all that in so I don't have to...
Except it is the upper shock mount that is bad, but all the other stuff you said applies. ;-)
-Fred W

when
fixed
can
Good call. I wouldn't have known that, but I follow the reasoning. I would have found it eventually after looking at all of the other bushings first.
Jeff Strickland wrote:

My 1997 528i made the same noise. I found out that the little tangs on the back of the brake pads were not bent out enough to prevent them from rattling against the pistons and calipers. A few minutes with a pliers at each caliper fixed it.
Tom Wright wrote:

Ack!! I just reread the OP and sure enough he said the noise was coming from the wheel area. I thought he said it was coming from the rear as in the shock mounts. If it is in fact a rattling and not clunking I would also suspect the brake pads are flopping around in the calipers.
-Fred W
Dutch Buckhead wrote:

Upper shock mount.
-Fred W