Re: 633/635csi info wanted

> I am thinking about buying a 633/635csi. My question, are there any

>> mechanical areas that deserve closer than normal pre buy inspection?? >> I have heard these cars are costly to repair. Any comments?? > > See the E24 and buyer's guide pages on my site. Great cars IF looked > after. Rust is the biggest worry.

Agreed. Beautiful car, but not low maintenance.

Check under front fender and in rear fenderwells for rust or rust repairs. Test drive at high speed on the highway and check for leaking main seal. Let it sit and idle and see if it starts to overheat. Test all electrical components for reliable function (windows, lights, signals, heater fan, gauges, stereo, etc). Make sure it idles smoothly. Check for shifter bushing slop or worn out synchronizers. Check to see if the driver's seat rocks back and forth. Check for TRX metric tires (you don't want those...) Check A/C function, normal stuff.

Most problems are repairable (just time and $$$); but the rust will never stop once it starts. Aftermarket cat-back exhausts can be had pretty cheaply ($200-ish, IIRC). Find a Coupe that's cherry but has bad exhaust system and you might get a steal of a deal. (Dealer prices on exhaust systems are breathtakingly expensive.)

If you live in the Rust Belt, find another car to love, or get used to constant rust repairs.

> Email: snipped-for-privacy@unixnerd.demon.co.uk, John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland > Web :
- The Ultimate BMW Homepage!> Need Sun or HP Unix kit?
Rocketman