Re: 633csi won't start

Well, I guess you can tell that I'm a real pro at this car thing, huh? It is a wire and it went from the alternator to the starter. After I connected it, that's when all the problems started. As of tonight (9:00 PST) it is still sitting in my driveway, unable to move. I've gone through the fuses but to no avail. It's a real stumper. If I'm getting lights and gauges, etc. could it still be the battery? Had a couple of friends come over last night and they tried to pop it into gear. Almost did, but almost doesn't make the car run. I'm afraid that I'm going to have to take it to a mechanic in the next few days unless a miracle happens and someone knows the magic words to help my sick car better. But regardlessof how it turns out, a great big "THANKS!" from this gal in California to each and every one of you out there that took the time to try and help me. You're terrific.

********(P.S. R. Mark Clayton -- Tried to e-mail you but it came back with a "failure notice".)***********

Still desperate (but smiling) in California, Debbie

Reply to
seahwkfan

I think the (thick?) wire went from the solenoid to the starter and you have connected it up wrong, however let's walk through some basic no start fault checks, with the information provided so far.

  1. Is there power in the battery? Yes lights come on etc. They should be bright.
  2. Does the starter crank the engine? Apparently not.

Possible diagnoses: -

a. Lights stay bright; starter does not turn. Could be - ignition lock contacts (replace lock), solenoid (replace solenoid), burnt out starter (replace starter),

  • disconnected cable (investigate and reconnect cable) - current favourite.

b. Lights are bright, but go out / very dim when starter tried - does not turn Short in starter circuit (dangerous - investigate and repair) Starter pinion jammed on rack (free off, investigate and repair if repeated) Earth strap badly corroded or loose - replace / refit

c. Lights are dim, starter clunks, lights go out or very dim Low / dud battery - charge battery, replace battery if lights stay dim. If you have another car and jump leads try jump starting. If not too dim, and car has manual gearbox, you can try bump starting

but we can probably eliminate

d. no lights dead flat or disconnected battery e. engine turns but does not start ignition, fuel, compression etc. etc.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton