Re: BMW 525D

in article snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net, Conor at conor snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 1/31/09 9:44 AM:

i suspect all beamers are hard on the front end by design ...
tears up tires and they rest on the rear to swap them out for length of service ... I think I get 30k miles out of a 40k tire when the 528 starts 'talking' with noises ... indicating that the tires are to worn to use on the vehicle dispite the wear tread indicators not yet showing ... get more height with more rubber on the road is the only fix. tires are just fine, just not in a useable condition for this car I am sorry to say.
so baby gets new shoes.
some people drop their tire dimes and like a real aggressive tread and a tuff tire because of that ... does tend to growlroll along that way when the window is down is a real problem .. but the tires are tuff matched to BMW requirements that way..
i run Continentals that are smoother and grip just as well .. however they are at the same mercy of getting the hard end of it on the front end as discussed above.
do the maintance and get the performance for the mileage ... sometimes it is one of those pennywise dollarfoolish connundrums when it gets used. at 20-30 years, the plastic parts go poop, electic issues are on the front then as they are in all cars and usually have to trash them at that time. volkswagen however ... today you can still get bug parts out of Brazil and other places with that aircooled engine of theirs and keep it on the road, even volkswagen in time loses its bushes.
having to use a BMW certified mechanic and get this sorted out right, only costs the same as any other certified ford or rolls royce mechanic ... at least here in California that is the way of it. Hours on repair and charges are set hard in the book ... it costs the same for every 5 hour water pump change out if you like. even if it takes them 10 hours to do it. With BMWs I just pay a bit more to buy high end parts, synthetic oil, and other racing part magic stuff they got going. So it is only a bit more actually.
An oil change is an oil change.
Sometimes have one every month if you live under a volcano.
sumbuddie wear blind sea
On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 12:15:29 -0800, Alan B. Mac Farlane wrote:

Is anyone able to translate this into English for me please?
TIA
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 21:47:45 GMT, Chris Whelan

<crap snipped>

Just killfile him. He's a loon, and you won't be missing anything. The sooner everyone does that, the sooner we won't need to see replies like yours, especially ones that quote the whole original post...
--
Dan.

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 19:08:18 -0500, Dean Dark wrote:
[...]

What sense would it have made if I had just posted the sentence "Is anyone able to translate this into English for me" if I *hadn't* included the complete original text?
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 07:36:35 GMT, Chris Whelan

You could have snipped the bulk of it, leaving just a phrase or two to illustrate your point. The "complete original text," especially when it's lengthy, is not normally needed in order to make an effective point, or ask a question. Just a suggestion...
--
Dan.

in article 7ichl.7294$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe20.ams, Chris Whelan at snipped-for-privacy@prejudicentlworld.com wrote on 1/31/09 11:36 PM:

hey good one ... try logic to a Bush League Thunker having a Stragetery meeting to chenny it up the arse.
wrote on 1/31/09 9:44 AM:

Nope, makes little sense here either. Although this bit "I think I get 30k miles out of a 40k tire when the 528 starts 'talking' with noises" - made me sad. Anyone who drives so gently that they can get 30k out of a set of tyres on a 528, should be in a Prius...
Of course, there's a good chance US and UK BMW 5's have different spec parts anyway, so without actually knowing if that's the case, and if it is, what is and isn't the same it's all a bit of a waste of words anyway. Still, no harm in leaving it all in anyway is there :-)
--
Dan
<empty parking space>

For starters (in the U.S.), a "bimmer" is a BMW car and a "beemer" is a BMW motorcycle. As one who is lucky enough to own both, I guess I'm a "beamer" - especially since modern beemers aren't hard at all on their front ends.
For the rest of his post, I'm afraid you're on your own - good luck!
Tom
On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 11:50:34 -0500, tom_k wrote:

As for the 40K tyres, don't 'tires' in the US have to *guarantee* a mileage, and hence get made from something not entirely unlike hardened teflon?
saying:

Don't forget, there's precisely three roundabouts in the entirety of the US, and not that many more bends in the road.
gurgled happily, sounding much like they were

Although we've employed them to confuse out of towners in Washington, DC for a couple of centuries, we're now starting to see many roundabouts (we call them "traffic circles") at rural intersections and sometimes in suburban neighborhoods. Their purpose along with the ubiquitous "speed bumps", is usually to promote slower vehicle speeds (so called traffic calming). Tom
were saying:

Odd. The purpose of roundabouts here is to enable traffic to flow better.
Or were you referring to bends in the road?
gurgled happily, sounding much like they

Nope, when we want traffic to flow better, we often widen the road to 6 lanes, straighten it, slap a 30 mph (50 kph) limit on it, install speed cameras, mail out the speeding tickets and wait for the money to flow in. This is done in the name of safety but it is really fund raising for the state or municipality.
Seriously though, some of the rural intersections where traffic circles have replaced stop signs are now much easier to negotiate and are a great deal safer. Tom
were saying:

Dunno about 6 lanes, but the rest of it you learned from us...

The Washington DC ones were originally installed by a Frenchman, however, in an attempt to confuse drivers who thought they were on a numbered street and suddenly find themselves on one named after a state. On the other hand, they work somewhat better than the ones in Paris from which he got the idea. --scott

Exactly.
Didn't the ones in France formerly require drivers who had already entered the circle to yield the right of way to those who were trying to merge into it, rather than the other way around? In DC, that would have resulted in instant gridlock as one couldn't exit the circle until rush hour wound down at about 10 PM!
Tom

performance rubber - often with American brand names, but manufactured in Europe. Tom
PCPaul wrote:

Have to? No.

Only if that's what you want to buy. Obviously, sticky tires are available as well.
in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Dean Dark at snipped-for-privacy@comcast.notthis.net wrote on 1/31/09 4:08 PM:

hey ... guess who gots loon disease now TIA ???
and it is a "we" you are talking to I hope you notice in the Dan ...
not one person in there ... you gots a bunch of em to talk to !!!
great family fun and the kids love it.
:)