Re: BMW E36: replacing camshaft belt?

I have x-posted to alt.autos.bmw, which is a much better place for this type of question.
The answer is: replace it *NOW* if it hasn't been done at 100,000 km. See http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/buy_engines.html . (John's pages have a lot of info and references.)
FloydR
gpsman, Floyd:
Thanks.
And thanks for the tip regarding alt.autos.bmw; I will go there in the future.
Cheers,
Martin

In roughly mid 1993 BMW switched from the belt drive M40 to the chain driven M43.
M40s have a distributor at the front of the camshaft. M43s don't, they have one coil per cylinder. So it's easy to tell which engine you have :-)
John,
You were quite right, my car (BMW 316i Compact from 7/1994) has a chain, not a belt. I was misled by a reference book which lists all models from '94, and which was still quoting the old specs.
Thanks!
Martin